thirty-one

Two weeks later and they were sat in Isaac’s car in the student car park, waiting for the majority of the Joules-jacket-wearing-Volvo-XC90-driving mums to leave before they set off.

   “You’re gonna like this one,” said Isaac with a little grin, waving the electric-blue CD in Jared’s face. “It’s my leather jacket playlist.”

     Jared made a face as horrified as if his mum had suggested he and Cosmo going to samba classes.

    “Do I wanna know?” he asked apprehensively, and Isaac shook his head peppily.

    “Nope, that’s not on it.”

     It was at times like these that Jared felt about five steps behind Isaac.

    “Wha-” he began, and then groaned. “Isaac, Arctic Monkeys puns? Really? To go with your leather jacket playlist?”

     Isaac only grinned, buzzing with a sort of happy electric energy that Jared hadn’t seen in him in ages.

    “What’re you so happy about?” he asked.

    “My sister’s coming back to visit tonight,” answered Isaac, and then added, “So you’d better make the most of this because tomorrow she’s gonna make us listen to Taylor Swift. I guarantee it.”

     Jared tried to look deadpan but ended up with an exasperated smile.

    “Leather jackets?” he prompted. Isaac slipped the CD in and reached to twist his car key.

    “Okay, so you know that moment in films where the guy drives up and he gets out wearing a leather jacket and like, slams his car door shut and struts in and everyone’s like, ‘Oh my god, who’s that guy?’ And you know, that feeling. This is a playlist for it.”

     He gave a blatant, shameless, grin and waited as if he already knew what Jared’s reaction was going to be. For a few moments there was quiet and then Jared said,

    “Dude, are you talking about Seventeen Again?” and Isaac burst out laughing like a tap turned on.

    “No man. What d’you take me for. A chick-flick watcher?! Come on. There’s loads of films with the leather-jacket-scene in.” He paused, then added, “And you know, it doesn’t have to be leather necessarily. Just that feeling. Now. Press play.”

    Jared did. A sassy guitar riff began, and he suppressed a smile.

    “Turn it up,” demanded Isaac. He turned his face to grin unapologetically at a snobby mum glaring at them and their loud music as the car actually started vibrating.

    “You are so a closet Zac Efron fan,” yelled Jared over the noise.

    “ARE YOU KIDDING THERE’S NO CLOSET INVOLVED IN THIS SITUATION,” yelled Isaac back, and Jared burst out laughing because how the fuck was this his life.