fifty-four

By the time they neared Dad’s Isaac was asleep again and Jared leaned forward to talk to Cosmo.

     “Have you whatsapped Dad to let him know where we are?” he asked. One time they’d arrived at like 7pm and Dad’d been out at a party with Renée, the household staff having all gone home as it was a Sunday night. They’d had to sit outside waiting until he finally stumbled back home at 3am and let them in. Good times, good times.

     “Er- nah,” said Cosmo, sounding much more sheepish than he usually did. He fixed his eyes out of the window and added in a blurt- “I er, I messaged Stella.”

     Jared’s mouth actually fell open. Stella was the daughter of their dad’s French housekeeper, a tanned blonde looks-good-even-when-running sort of goddess who’d been the object of Cosmo’s hopeless adoration since he was like, twelve years old and they’d first met her while visiting Dad. (She’d also featured heavily in Jared’s summer daydreams for about three years of his awkward-tween phase, but he liked to leave that bit out when taking the shit out of Cosmo about his utterly unrequited crush).

     Or maybe not so utterly unrequited?

    “What the fuck? Wait, Cos, you have Stella’s number?”

     Cosmo rubbed his hands up and down the steering wheel, blushing furiously.

    “Yeah, like, she added me on Facebook and I asked what her number was and then- like, we imessage sometimes. Er. Yeah. It’s nothing I’d- we just chat about stuff. ”

     Jared just stared at him, then let out a huff of laughter and reached to punch his brother’s shoulder.

    “Dude! I can’t believe- she’s like, your one true love!” He paused. “I can’t believe you didn’t tell me. I used to me your Number One woo-Stella summer wingman. You should’ve told me you were messaging!”

      Cosmo gave a shy smile and rolled his eyes before pausing, glancing round at Jared as if contemplating whether to say something or not. It seemed he decided to say it, because just as Jared was about to lean back in his seat Cosmo answered clumsily-

    “I would’ve told you but I- we haven’t- I kinda thought you’d just say ‘fuck off’ or something. You haven’t really been very approachable these last few years, Jer. Not till he came along.”

     He didn’t even have to motion to Isaac for them both to know exactly who he was talking about.