fifty-two

When the ferry finally drew into harbour Jared and Cosmo had to half-carry a stumbling, happy Isaac down to the cold car-parking level of the ship, Cosmo pulling a fleece blanket out of the boot to wrap him in before manoeuvring him into the back seat.

    “I’ll sit in the back with him,” said Jared. His mind felt mostly sober now - his thoughts at least were clear, although his brain still felt too big for his head and if he moved too quickly the world span around him.

    “Good thinking,” said Cosmo, looking fondly to where Isaac was sat smiling at nothing in the car. “I like him,” he said suddenly. “He’s the nicest of all your friends.”

    “Yeah,” said Jared. “He is.”

     He’s kind of my only real friend, I think.

     The inside of the car took a while to warm up as they sat waiting for the exit ramp to open. Jared reached over to tuck Isaac’s blanket in around him and put his seatbelt on. He felt, rather than saw, Isaac smile into his hair.

    “Thanks J,” he mumbled. “You’re the best.”

    “I know,” said Jared wryly, rummaging in the footwell for a bottle of water. “Hey Isaac- drink some of this.”

     Isaac did so obligingly, and then handed it back to Jared with a child-like smile.

    “Put this on him,” suggested Cosmo, holding out a woolly bobble hat he’d brought. “He’s shivering.”

     Jared took the hat and gently pulled it down over Isaac’s dishevelled curls, feeling absurdly protective of the idiot. He paused a second before rubbing Isaac’s arms in an effort to stop the shivering because alcohol plus cold was never good (and also because it felt stupidly nice to be able to take care of him for once, this boy who spent his whole life saying he was fine, and pushing you away if you got too sympathetic, asking about your problems instead).

    “What a gentleman ay,” Isaac was mumbling now, but his eyelids were fluttering closed. When Jared moved away into his own seat Isaac slumped into him, all soft and tired and vulnerable.

     By the time they were out on the road, Isaac was fast asleep with his head on Jared’s lap.