forty-nine

Rosie needed Isaac’s car for going to Scotland, so they were doomed to be driven by Cosmo not only to Dover, but once they got off the ferry in Calais- because Jared’s dad, being the man he was, of course lived in the south of France. Cosmo’s car was – naturally – a really fucking ugly shade of lime green with a bumper sticker on it that said, ‘Without me it’d just be aweso’.  Jared felt the shame as a physical weight every time he set foot in the monstrosity.

     Their ferry was a late night one but they had to drive down to Dover first, so they set off in the evening with Cosmo already blasting Abba from the speakers.

    “Isaac’s in the front,” Cosmo had told Jared firmly when he tried to call shotgun. “Because he actually sings along with me, unlike some grouchy fucker I know.”

    “Yeah J,” Isaac had said, smirking. Jared flipped him the bird, huffing loudly as he clambered into the back.

    “At least here I have more chance of surviving Cosmo’s driving skills,” he said snarkily, and then added under his breath, “Or lack thereof.”

    “Hey!” cried Cosmo, and reversed into a tree (the car only got a small dent in it, luckily). The driving didn’t get any better. By the time they stopped at Burger King for tea Isaac’s face was looking almost the same shade as the car. 

    When Dover port came into sight Cosmo turned round and smiled at both of them.

    “Nice ride, right!? Jared was totally exaggerating about my driving.”

     Jared burst out laughing as Isaac nodded weakly, slowly unprising his hand from the ceiling handle.