Chapter Eight - Breathless Wonder

Narrative P.O.V.

Cain stood out in the hallway, his breathing erratic.

The fangs in his mouth were extending from his gums and poking his bottom lip.

He tried to focus on the smell of disinfectant in the air but the only things his senses had zeroed in on were the scent and sight of her blood.

For the first time in his life, he wasn't resisting the vampiric pull to completely drain someone of their blood.

The urge he was fighting was not one to kill or satisfy hunger, but to satisfy lustful and prurient desires.

It was much stronger than anything he'd felt before.

He heard the doctor walking down the hallway and he turned to face away from him.

"When was the last time?" The doctor asked him as he walked up.

"I don't know what you mean," Cain remarked.

"When did you drink last?"

Cain closed his eyes tightly as he caught another whiff of her blood on his hands, despite his earlier attempts to scrub it away.

"Yesterday morning," he answered.

"You shouldn't be trying to last that long," the doctor scolded. "Especially now that she's here."

"Tell me something," Cain said. "If you relied on the bloodshed of others to survive, how often do you think you'd try to last between feeding?"

The doctor was quiet for a few moments as he took Cain's comment into consideration.

"Jai did as you asked and a new shipment was sent over from the regional hospital in the late afternoon yesterday," the doctor informed him.

"I could go through all the blood in Germany and still want hers," Cain said with a clenched jaw.

It was silent for a minute before the doctor sighed.

"When do your parents return from Australia?" He asked.

"Two weeks."

"Maybe you should convince them to make a visit," the doctor said. "I'm sure they'd want to meet her and I think you need more help than you're willing to admit."

Cain turned around slowly, giving the doctor a glimpse of his darkened eyes and extended canines.

"You think?" He snarled, sarcasm dripping from his words.

The doctor drew in a deep breath before walking past Cain into the examination room where the girl was waiting.

- - -

Ella's P.O.V.

I heard the door open again and I turned to see the doctor return.

He placed the tray that was in his hands on a cart beside the table where I laid.

Cain walked in behind him, looking slightly shaken. His eyes caught mine and I went back to staring at the ceiling.

"Here's something for your headache," the doctor told me as he handed me three pills and a cup of water.

I tried to sit up but I couldn't lift myself off my back without getting light-headed. Cain walked over and placed a hand under my back and helped me sit up.