Chapter Twenty-Three - Deadly Desire

Ella's P.O.V.

I watched in a cold sweat as Cain and my grandfather held each other's glare.

Using the moment of distraction to my advantage, I whipped around and, in one fluid motion, yanked my arm from my grandfather's grip and swung the other one to slap him across the face.

He stumbled away in shock and I took several steps backwards until I ran into something hard.

I turned around to see Cain wink at me.

"I was wondering how long we were going to have to stand there until you did that," he said sarcastically.

I shook my hand, which was now stinging from the slap.

Two of Dinesh's men each ran up and grabbed my grandfather.

"We can handle this from here," Dinesh said.

He began to thrash around in their arms. As he did so, my grandfather turned his head to look at one of the men.

"Would you unhand me?" he said angrily.

I raised a hand to cover my mouth.

"Cain," I said, my voice barely above a whisper.

He leaned in, a look of concern on his face.

"Look at his neck," I said.

Cain turned his attention to my grandfather and saw what I was unable to look away from.

On his neck were two small, circular puncture wounds.

Bite marks.

How had I not seen them earlier?

Cain marched over to my grandfather and grabbed his jaw roughly with one hand, exposing his neck further.

"Where? Who? And how long ago?" he asked him.

"I'm not answering any of your questions," my grandfather said angrily.

Cain let go of his face and let out a breath.

"You will."

- - -

None of us spoke a word the entire ride back to the underground safe house that Dinesh had us staying in.

I rode with Cain, Dinesh, Daniel and Jai. My grandfather was in the second SUV with Dinesh's men. 

My head leaned against the window as I looked out into the night and watched it pass by me.

Cain and Dinesh decided that it would be best if we didn't return to the memorial service, which I felt extremely guilty about. The poor Indian Beta's family must have felt incredibly disrespected with their loved one's funeral turning into a manhunt.

I still couldn't understand why my grandfather was there and how he knew I would be also.

Additionally, the sight of those bite marks on his neck made my skin crawl.