Chapter Thirty-Five - Dead Men Tell No Tales

Narrative P.O.V.

"You can't do this to me."

Daniel had Zak by the back of his neck, guiding him up the staircase as Jai led the way.

"I can do whatever the fuck I want to," Cain growled as he strolled behind them.

Jai opened the door that led up to the rooftop as Daniel pulled Zak into the early morning air.

He stumbled forward and fell, his legs too weak to walk any further.

It had been several days since Zak had fed and he knew Cain wouldn't be generous enough to share.

It didn't matter, though.

Zak knew his time was running short and he didn't expect to come off that roof.

The flat section of the roof was small, but it was spacious enough to serve its intended purpose.

Staked into the roof was a tall, steel pole. During a time when Vampires were actively sought out and killed by Lycanthropes, this was a spot in the palace used regularly to interrogate and torture those infected by the disease.

Daniel pushed Zak against the steel structure while Jai walked around them and began to lock the shackles around Zak's feet. Once this was done and there was no way for Zak to escape, Daniel let go of him and pulled the handcuffs from his pocket.

He went around the stake and pulled Zak in closer so his hands could be locked behind his back.

"Vulnerability doesn't feel good, does it?" Cain asked, watching the task at hand.

Zak refused to answer the question.

He kept his eyes on the horizon, staring intently at what would soon be his demise.

There were only a few more hours in his future, and they would be painful ones.

"What would your mate say about you killing her brother?" He asked.

Cain smiled.

"She gave me permission, don't worry."

"Keep in mind that she did so before you tried to poison her," Daniel chimed in. "I wouldn't say her answer has changed since then."

"You're making a mistake," Zak told them. "I'm the only person who can help you. I have information that would be vital to your survival."

Cain raised an eyebrow.

"Information that you're not readily giving up," he clarified. "I don't have time beg you, nor do I have the patience."

"You'll wish you had."

Jai looked at Cain warily and Cain pretended not to notice.

While he was looking forward to watching Zak die, Cain knew he wouldn't take as much pleasure in doing so as he wanted to.

Zak was the only person who knew what lie ahead and uncertainty was something Cain didn't handle well.

But Zak had endured hours of torture at the hands of Jai without so much as letting a time or place slip, a feat not accomplished by anyone that Cain was aware of.