Chapter Twenty-Six - Fast Car

A/N: If you want to get in your feels, listen to Let It All Go by RHODES ft. Birdy before you read this chapter ;)

- - -

Ella's P.O.V.

When I woke, Cain's warm embrace was gone. 

The room was still dark, leading me to believe I hadn't slept past dawn. This didn't surprise me due to the fact that I'd slept enough in the past twenty-four hours to get me through the next three days. 

I sat up in the bed to see that the fire in the fireplace had burnt out, only glowing embers remaining in the hearth. 

The bedroom door was just barely open as I got out of the bed and wandered over to it, rubbing the sleep from my eyes as I did so. 

I opened the door slowly to see the living room was barely illuminated by the hauntingly blue glow of the coming dawn. 

My guess was that it wasn't even five o'clock yet. 

"Surprising to see you up so early." 

I turned to see Cain standing at the counter, one arm crossed over his bare chest and the other raising a stainless steel cup to his lips. 

"Are you though?" I asked, walking over to him. "I think I've gotten my fair share of sleep for a while." 

I made my way next to where he stood, reaching for the coffeemaker that sat on the counter. 

"You're up early too," I noted. 

"I don't sleep." 

Oh... right.

I found some coffee grounds and filters in the cabinet above the coffeemaker and I filled the reservoir with water before adding the filter and coffee.

I pulled out a coffee mug and went to the refrigerator for cream out of instinct as Cain watched closely. I opened the door to see that it was completely bare.

"Is there sugar?" I asked him. 

He shook his head. 

"There's nothing here. We had to make a stop on the way here to get the ingredients for the soup. That's why Daniel went into town for supplies." 

I sighed, coming to the conclusion that black coffee was better than no coffee. I would just have to drink it slow. 

It finished brewing and I poured it into the mug, relishing in the smell. 

I held the ceramic mug for a few moments as I let it warm my hands. 

"How long are we here for?" I asked. 

Cain finished his drink before answering. 

"I'm making arrangements for you to leave today." 

I felt my heart sink into my stomach as he said this, but I couldn't find the words to protest. 

"I know I said that I wouldn't leave you alone again," he started, "but you're better off away from me and all of this." 

I felt myself let out a long breath as I stared at the coffee mug in my hands, now feeling like it was burning against my palms rather than warming them up. 

"Where am I going?" I asked him, my voice shaking. 

He peered down into his cup as he spoke.