Chapter Fifteen - Only One Way to Find Out

My heart was pounding.

The doctor nervously shifted the clipboard in his hands as his eyes glanced from myself to Cain.

"Well?" I asked, my voice shaky.

"Ms. Schulz, as we suspected, you're not entirely human."

The pounding in my chest came to a screeching halt. I began to take deep breaths, immediately feeling light-headed.

There was something about hearing him say it that made me sick to much stomach.

"What do you mean?" I asked as I tried to catch my breath.

"You have the Lycan gene," the doctor said.

I shook my head slowly, rejecting the idea.

"There is no way," I said.

Cain stood from his chair and took the clipboard from the doctor. He examined the contents of the piece of paper with an intense look on his face.

"Can I read it?" I asked him.

I felt my heart in my throat as Cain handed me the clipboard.

I grabbed it from him with shaking hands.

As I read over the various numbers and data lines, I realized very quickly that I hardly understood any of it.

"What does any of this mean?" I asked.

It wasn't just the statistics that I didn't understand, I couldn't comprehend the entire situation.

I'm not a Lycanthrope, I'm not a Lycanthrope, I kept repeating in my head.

The doctor walked over and began to point to various horizontal columns on the chart.

"We did a blood panel," he told me. "We can determine Lycanthropy by reading the levels of hemoglobin, platelets, WBC, and various other things. Because Lycans have the ability to regenerate body tissue rapidly as a way to heal quicker, your white blood cell count is a very good indicator of the differences between Homo sapiens and Lycanthropes."

"What's a normal white blood cell count for humans?" I asked.

"Anywhere between four thousand to eleven thousand per microliter."

"And mine is?"

"A little over twenty-one thousand."

I let out a huge breath that had been trapped in my chest.

I leaned over and put my head in my hands.

"This isn't happening," I whispered.

I felt a large, strong hand touch my upper back and sat up to see Cain looking at me intently, concern written on his face.

Looking from him to the doctor, I struggled to find words to say.

"M-my family," I stuttered out. "Lycanthropy is an entire race, it's hereditary. If I'm a Lycan, my parents are..."

I let out a breath.

"...and Zak is too."

The two men looked between each other.

"Can we have a minute?" Cain asked.

The doctor nodded, leaving the clipboard beside me on the table.

When the doctor left the room, Cain walked over to stand in front of me.

His face was right in front of mine. It felt like his eyes were looking straight through me.