Chapter Twenty-Four - Consiousness

Unknown P.O.V.

Rain poured down on the grassy plains that stretched on for miles outside the window.

Lightning flashed across the sky, followed closely by a crack of thunder.

The sound of the heavy rain pattering against the glass panels of the window competed with the cracking of logs that burned in the hearth of the large stone fireplace.

The gloomy evening did nothing to lighten the moods of those in the castle as they observed the storm.

"Where are we in implementing Plan B?" the man asked in annoyance.

As he spoke, his attention turned away from the window to the man who entered his study.

The subordinate came to stand in front of him, shaking in fear.

"The teams have been dispatched, sir. They are required to check in with us once they have reached their destinations, before they complete the task."

He drew in a deep breath.

"Have we found the plane yet?"

The young man stumbled over his words as he tried to answer the question.

"Not exactly, sir. We have the coordinates for the terminal they landed in but we haven't heard from our agent on the ground who was supposed to confirm them."

His eyes narrowed.

"Well, we better have that done soon. I have a feeling that they won't be in India for very long after tonight."

- - -

Ella's P.O.V.

Cain left the room shortly after our argument, receiving no protest from me as he did so.

I was so angry that I didn't care if I ever saw him again.

Why was he always so blunt with everything?

He wasn't just simply telling the truth plainly because he didn't feel the need to sugarcoat it.

That I could handle.

What Cain was doing was trying to intentionally drive me away with hurtful words and actions and he did so under the guise of honesty.

That's what angered me.

Frustrating me further was the fact that I was in no way prepared to face the truth.

I was asking questions that I didn't want to know the answers to. I wouldn't have liked any answer that Cain had given me.

It didn't matter that Cain couldn't communicate the truth if I couldn't accept it.

Entertaining the thoughts running through my mind that night as I laid in bed made me wonder if the concussion I had sustained had messed with my ability to reason.

I was having a harder time focusing on anything other than Cain and my mood swings made me feel like a sophomore in high school again.