Chapter Twenty-One - Honor The Dead

Unknown P.O.V.

"Are the final preparations for the memorial service being made?"

"They're being completed now, sir."

He nodded in satisfaction.

"Will she be there?"

The young man nodded, the hands that were clasped behind his back shook as he did so. 

"Yes, sir, she will be."

"And he'll be with her, I presume?"

"Yes, sir."

The young man let out a shaky breath.

"Is that all you need from me, sir?"

He wove his hand, dismissing the young man.

"Yes, Zak. That's all."

- - -

Ella's P.O.V. 

"Ouch!"

"Sorry, watch your head..."

I sat down in the plush leather seat rubbing my head.

"That warning came a little too late," I told Daniel, who was swinging luggage into the overhead compartment above me.

"Technically, I gave you one before that," he retorted, closing the compartment.

"I don't think shouting 'Four!' counts," Jai said, shuffling in behind him with his two duffle bags.

Daniel just shrugged.

"Knock it off, you two," Cain said, entering the cabin of the plane. "Go help everyone else load the rest of the shit."

Daniel and Jai immediately straightened up and brushed past Cain to go back out into the cold, misty night air.

"You need to get some sleep," Cain said. "We've got about an eight-hour flight to Mumbai ahead of us."

"I'm not very tired," I told him, watching as he put his bag in the seat across the aisle from me.

I felt a slight pang of disappointment watching him plan to sit so far away. 

Why doesn't he want to sit next to me?

"I don't bite," I told him.

"I do," he said, without skipping a beat.

He looked at me, seemingly astonished that he had said what he did; it was like it had just slipped out.

I fought back laughter.

"Did that amuse you?" He asked incredulously.

I snickered, my hand covering my mouth as I tried to keep from laughing. 

"That shouldn't have been funny," he said, a smile creeping up on his lips.

"But it was," I said.

"That's a twisted sense of humor," he remarked, taking his seat across from me.

"Seriously?" I asked him. "You're really going to sit all the way over there?"

He sighed, his face turning serious.

"Ella, we've been over this," he said. 

"You said it yourself, we have eight hours of a plane ride to Mumbai. This would be a perfect time to be able to talk about things," I argued.