Chapter Twelve - Forbidden Answers

"Ella, let me explain."

Cain took a step towards me and I took two steps backwards.

From the corner of my eye, I saw Jai reach out to place his hand on my shoulder.

"Don't touch me!" I said, backing away from them both.

I looked at Jai.

"Are you one too?" I asked him.

"One what?" He asked.

I scoffed in disbelief.

"Don't play me like an idiot," I told him firmly.

I looked to Cain, who had slowly been moving towards me.

I backed away and went around the couch, putting more space between myself and the two men, if one could even call them that.

"I heard what your dad said," I told Cain.

Leaning down, I picked the book up off the couch and held it in one hand.

"You're a Lycanthrope," I said.

Saying it out loud made it all click inside my head.

The whole bit about Cain telling me they were their own undercover organization; that had to be what the book referenced when it said that Lycans all lived together in secret.

And the sub-human strength the book talked about would explain why Cain was able to kill that man with one punch.

But there was one thing that didn't add up...

"Your dad said something about you not being able to go very long without blood," I said slowly, directing my words at Cain. "What does that mean? Lycanthropes don't need to drink blood to survive."

"How do you know that?" He asked.

"I read the damn book!" I said, waving it in his face. "Answer the question."

"I'm a hybrid," he said slowly.

"Your mom said that," I pointed out. "What does that mean?"

"It means I am a mix of both."

"Both of what? Lycanthrope and what else? Human?"

"Vampire."

I closed my eyes and shook my head. Taking a few moments to compose myself and my thoughts.

"You're all insane," I said, opening my eyes. "There is no such thing as Lycanthropes and there definitely isn't such a thing as Vampires."

"You're looking at someone who is both, I can assure you they exist," Cain said.

I shook my head.

"I refuse to believe it. This is all ridiculous and I can't deal with it right now."

I began to hyperventilate as I tried to wrap my mind around what was happening.

"I'm... I'm going home," I said finally.

Both men were silent as I said this.

"What about your grandfather?" Cain asked.

"I don't care anymore.".

"You can't just leave," he said.

"I can and I will."

I walked around the couch and pulled my suitcase out from under the bed.

Both men watched as I went over the the drawers I had unpacked all of my things in and began to throw them into the suitcase.

"Ella..."