Chapter Forty-Six - Crash Landing

When I stepped out of the shower into the steam-filled bathroom, I felt somewhat relieved that I was able to wash that day from my body.

I only wished I was able to wash it from my mind.

Wrapping myself in a robe, I opened the bathroom door and walked out into my hotel room.

My window overlooked the Sri Lankan nightlife, allowing the lights of the city to pour in and cast an eerie glow over the room.

I looked around the lonely room with a grave expression and turned to walk towards the door.

Before I could register what it was that I was doing, I was standing in the hallway outside another room's door.

I knocked before I could allow myself the chance to second guess my actions.

It opened a few moments later and I was met by a familiar pair of lavender eyes.

"Can I come in?"

Wordlessly, he stepped to the side and allowed space for me to slide by him into his room.

I sat down on his bed as he leaned back against the wall in front of me. I noticed then that he must have also just gotten out of the shower. He was only covered by a towel that hung low on his torso.

The last time I had been alone with Cain, he told me he loved me.

Now, neither of us knew what to say.

"What now?" I asked finally.

"Jai talked to your parents," he said. "I've booked you a flight home that leaves in the morning."

I nodded slowly.

Somehow, the idea of home didn't repulse me.

I needed to see my parents, I'm sure they had been worried. 

Before I could say another word, Cain stopped me.

"Listen, it's probably not a good idea for you to be in here," he said. "I think it's best that you go back to your room. I'm sure you're tired."

"I'm not," I said softly. "I slept earlier today."

"Slept? So, Jacob gave you the cure also?" he asked.

I nodded.

"Well, that's good," he said. "I'm sure it will make returning to a normal life much easier."

I nodded again.

"Probably."

A few moments of silence went by before Cain spoke.

"I'm sorry that I didn't tell you about you and him."

I found myself giving him a weak smile.

"It's okay. If I'm being honest, I wish I'd never found out."

I saw his jaw clench. 

"Well," he said pushing himself away from the wall and towards the bathroom. "I'm sure knowing about him complicates things indefinitely."

"It doesn't," I said, stopping him.

Cain turned back around to me.

"What?"

"I said that it doesn't complicate anything," I reiterated, standing to my feet.

"Ella, stop," he said, watching me warily as I walked towards him. "Don't do this to me or you. You're going home tomorrow. Don't make your goodbye any harder than it has to be."