Chapter Thirty - Meticulous

Ella's P.O.V.

When Zak said we would leave at first light, he meant it.

He woke me sometime in the very early morning and gave me little time to change into the clothes he brought me.

A distasteful pair of black pants and a baggy black sweatshirt were all I had to layer under my new heavy winter coat. The combat boots paired with the wool camping socks he brought would keep me warm, and that was all I cared about.

I was glad I had found my jacket when I did the night before because I was certain that I would never see it again. I could only hope that no one noticed the phone missing from its pockets.

I put my cellphone in between the cups of my bra, tucked securely under the band. I figured this was the best place to hide it where I would still be able sit down and stand up without hinderance, something I couldn't do if it was in my waistband. I had considered putting it in one of my boots, but those weren't guaranteed to stay on my feet.

The early morning sky was transitioning from its dark navy hues into purple as Zak pulled me outside into the freezing cold air. We walked onto a driveway where a large moving truck was parked.

Dr. Weber stood outside the truck, waiting for us. In his hands was paper bag which he threw at Zak as we approached.

"What is that?"

Ignoring me, Zak unlatched the back of the moving truck, the metal screeching as the door opened to reveal an empty cargo space.

Zak pushed me inside and threw the paper sack in behind me.

"It's the only thing you're getting for the day so I wouldn't eat it all at once."

With that, he closed the door and left me in the empty darkness.

"Jackass," I mumbled.

A few moments later, the truck jolted and the engine roared to life.

I was forced against the back of the truck in a corner as we started down the winding road.

It wasn't long before I began to feel nauseous. I couldn't discern whether it was because I was hungry or because I felt as though I was riding on a rollercoaster.

We hit a few potholes and took a sharp turn before I came to the conclusion that I was going to be car sick.

How long was I going to be stuck in this dark pukebox?

It had been all but confirmed that Zak and Dr. Weber were both Vampires and seeing as the sun was due to rise within a short period of time, I couldn't imagine that they would be driving the truck for very much longer.

Because of this, I came to the conclusion that I wouldn't be in the truck for very long before we reached our destination or before we reached an alternate method of transportation where Dr. Weber and Zak would be out of the daylight.

I took advantage of my time alone to pull out my phone. The battery was running dangerously low and I couldn't very well ask the two men for a quick charge so I turned the phone off to preserve what life it had left before stowing it away in my bra again.

Because of the jolting ride, I couldn't fathom eating even though the smell of whatever was in the paper bag made my mouth water.

A few minutes later, the truck came to a halt.

I took a deep breath to calm the thoughts that began to run rampant in my mind.

Where are they taking me? Am I going to die? Zak wouldn't let Weber kill me... would he?