Chapter Twenty-Eight - Meet The Neighbors

Ella's P.O.V.

A pounding headache was the first thing I could remember.

I could feel my heartbeat pulsating behind my eyes and I felt as though someone had taken my temples in their palms and squashed them together.

I groaned as I reached up to put my hand on my head.

Wallowing in pain, I felt my body tense as I realized I was on a bed.

I sat up slowly.

My eyes wouldn't focus properly because of the headache but I could see a blurry outline of where I was.

The room was small, but it had ceilings so tall I felt as though I was looking into outer space.

The bed I was in had a thick, velvety black canopy over it that matched the duvet I was laying on.

The curtains over the large windows were drawn and blocked out all incoming sunlight.

A few candles were on the nightstand that offered an eerie glow over the room, accompanied by a fire that was smoldering in the fireplace.

The flames were dying and offered the small room very little warmth.

I was freezing.

Looking down, I saw that I was still in my normal clothes, except that my jacket and shoes had been removed.

I also noticed that the bandage around my bad ankle was missing.

Feeling another jolt of pain shoot through my head, I groaned and laid back down.

"I do apologize for the unfortunate side effects."

I sat up quickly, all feelings of pain disappearing.

My heart was racing as I looked over to see him standing in the doorway.

Dr. Hans Weber.

I felt my jaw clench as he opened the door wider and took the liberty of walking into the room and closing the door behind him.

"Flunitrazepam," he said.

My eyebrows furrowed.

"That's the drug you inhaled that knocked you out," he clarified. "One of the side effects is a severe headache."

"Where am I and where is Zak?" I asked him.

He walked around the bed slowly, making me feel like a prey that was being circled by a predator.

"Zak is busy," he said, ignoring my first question.

"I need to speak with him."

Speak with him. Because apparently he could do that.

"I'm afraid that's not entirely possible," Weber said.

My eyes narrowed.