Chapter Thirteen - Demonic Decay

My lips molded to his perfectly, like they were made for him.

I found myself leaning into Cain, pressing my comparatively small frame against his broad, muscular one.

My hands were cold and placing them on his bare skin that was still warm from a hot shower, I could've sworn literal steam danced from underneath my fingertips.

Cain's hand moved around my neck so his thumb could lift my jaw, allowing him leverage to deepen this kiss.

The moment my mouth opened and his tongue slipped between my lips, I had to keep myself from falling to the floor.

The taste of his kiss was euphoric.

Between the feeling in my stomach that was similar to a drop on a rollercoaster, and the fireworks that were going off in my brain, the adrenaline rush I got from the kiss was like nothing I'd ever experienced.

I was light-headed yet hyper-aware all at once.

I felt his other hand fall from my arm where he had initially pulled me into the kiss and it slid around my waist and pulled me flush against his chest.

I was on my tiptoes to help accommodate the height difference between us, but it didn't help much and left me wanting to jump into his arms.

Cain's lips left mine, leaving me to immediately mourn the loss of his kiss. His mouth, however, began to kiss along my jaw and down my neck.

By the time I had closed my eyes, enjoying the feeling, he backed away and I found myself leaning against the bedpost to support my weak knees.

Cain let out a noise that sounded somewhat like a frustrated growl as he turned around to face away from me.

"I'm sorry," he said through clenched teeth.

"For what?" I asked breathlessly.

I, for one, was extremely impressed with his kiss so I couldn't understand why he felt the need to apologize.

"Nothing, it's—" he stopped abruptly and shook his head as he began to rub his eyes with the palm of his hands.

"I need you to leave," he said.

Despite his request, I steadied myself on my feet and walked towards him cautiously.

"Please go," Cain pleaded, walking further away from me, although his back was still turned.

I again ignored his plea and slowly continued to step forward as he walked over to the fireplace.

He put a hand on the mantle and I saw the muscle in his back flex as he did so.

I walked up behind him and placed my hand on his arm.

"Turn around," I said gently.

"I'm asking you to leave—"

"Turn around."

He remained turned away and I removed my hand from his arm. Stepping next to him, I reached out to grab his jaw quickly and turned him to face me.

What I saw will forever be engrained in my memory.

His eyes were dark, but the firelight allowed me to notice that his irises and pupils were the same size. It looked as if the white parts of his eyes had been bleeding as they had been replaced by a deep red color that had spread to make the lavender in his eyes a dark shade of burgundy.

The veins and arteries around his eyes, especially underneath them, held a prominence like none I had ever seen before. They stood out against his skin like a web of roads on a map.