Chapter Nineteen - Nothing Good

Narrative P.O.V. 

Cain's knee bounced up and down rapidly as he sat in the uncomfortable plastic chair, impatiently waiting on Dr. Zosak to return. 

Footsteps echoed down the long hallway and he looked up expectantly, only to see it was just Daniel walking towards him. 

Daniel sat down in the chair next to Cain and handed him the steel cup. 

It was the sixth time in two hours that he had refilled that cup.

While he knew that Cain's body was just going into overdrive to compensate for what it had been starved from, Daniel knew that the more that Cain drank, the harder it would be for him to back off of it. 

He watched with wary eyes as Cain lifted the cup to his lips.

Cain could feel Daniel's eyes baring into him. 

He knew he was a sight to behold.

Ella's blood still stained the sides of his face and neck. It coated his hands and fingers and, although it had dried, he could imagine that it painted a gruesome image against his skin. 

He was still shirtless, despite the freezing temperature of the hospital ward.

"Ask," Cain demanded, setting the cup between his feet on the ground beneath his chair.

"Ask what?" Daniel asked, although he was not entirely oblivious to what Cain was referring to.

"The question that you've been dancing around for the past two hours," Cain said.

Daniel sighed before staring at the wall that was on the other side of the hallway.

"What did it taste like?"

Suddenly, a door opened and both men looked to see Dr. Zosak exiting a room on the far side of the hallway. He looked at Cain with a solemn expression. 

"Better than I could ever have imagined," Cain answered before standing up and walking towards the doctor.

The spotless granite flooring and the fluorescent lighting that reflected off of it seemed to stretch on for miles as Cain walked with a cool outward expression. 

On the inside, his mind raced with thoughts of what he was about to hear. He had sorted out every scenario and planned for every sequence of events. In his deliberations, however, he couldn't see a happy ending; only several ways the situation could end badly. 

"How bad-"

Dr. Zosak held up his hand to silence Cain, a bold move that made Cain narrow his eyes. 

"Ask her yourself."

Before Cain could enter the room, Dr. Zosak stopped him.

The doctor was the only thing in between Cain and the girl on the other side of the doorway. 

Cain felt his fists clench as he fought the urge to shove the old man out of the way. 

"You need to know something," the doctor said. 

Cain raised an eyebrow. 

"What happened in your office should not have happened."

Before Cain could utter the words no shit, Dr. Zosak continued. 

"The infection is in her system." 

This made Cain's stomach drop. 

"If she had lost anymore blood, we would have had to start the process of turning her."