Chapter Thirty-Six

Toby's pov

I sat up in bed as E.J walked in holding a small clipboard. "Can I go now?" I huffed annoyed with the situation. He looked over his clipboard at me. "I guess you can, be careful and if your memories come back please inform me?" He asked. I stood up and smiled pulling on my mask and goggles. "Yeah, of course." I walked down stairs with him. "Where is everyone?" I asked as we looked at the usually chaotic living room. "Uh," He said looking around. "I think they were talking about training today. So the battle clearing?" He offered. "Ok, thanks for everything E.J." I said as I walked to the front door.

I pushed past branches as I entered the small clearing. My eyes scanned the area looking for Y/n. I heard they were pretty beat up about what happened yesterday. My gaze landed on them with Jeff's arm rapped around their arms.  I smiled a pulled down my mask calling out her name. Their gaze snapped in my direction and their body froze. I looked at them confused and continued walking at a much slower pace, not near as enthusiastic as before. As I closed the space between us I could see relief fill their eyes. They detached themselves from Jeff's hold and all but flew in my direction. I braced myself for the impact as they embraced me in a hug.  I shook my head and hugged back lifting them slightly. I put them down as I took my mouth guard off.

Y/n's pov

We both let go and turned to the rest of the group, they all greeted Toby smiling and happy, except for Masky who interrupted the small group. "Can we get back to the tournament?" he asked annoyed.

Everyone agreed and I looked around for Sally who was the referee and holding the brackets. I walked up to her and pulled my mask up a bit smiling awkwardly. "Hey Sal, who am I fighting next?" I asked looking down at her.

She smiled brightly back loving the attention. "Sure! You are fighting..." She trailed off looking at the crumpled sheet in her hand "Liu." She stated looking back up at me.

I ruffled her hair and thanked her as I walked away. I looked around for Liu before locking my eyes on him accompanied by about ten others. I walked over confused slowly trailing my sledgehammer behind me.

"Why are all of you here?" I asked turning to the group. "We finished early," a red headed boy said to me said sitting up from his place in the grass.

"Figured why not get some bets in." He jumped up and smirked. "I'm Jason the Toy Maker, you can call me Jason though." He stated holding his hand out to me.

I shook his hand, "Y/n." I mumbled quietly and nodded and turned to Liu he had a large knife similar to Jeff's gripped in his hand.

I held my free hand out to him. "Good luck." He said shaking my hand firmly. I didn't answer and stalked back a few yards.

Sally broke the atmosphere waving her arms around clutching papers. "Wait! Wait!" she yelled coming to a stop a few yards in front of us. "Ok, I'm here!" She announced smiling, she explained the rules again and took bets and money for the match. "Ready?" she asked Liu. "Yeah." he said gripping his knife. She turned to me "Ready?" she smiled. "Ready." I confirmed shifting my weight. "Ok! Three! Two! One! Begin!"

We ran at each other after, I kept my arms pulled back to give me more force as I swung my weapon near his face. He stepped to the side avoiding my attack, leaving me with my back to him. I could hear the air being sliced though as I ducked down the knife missing my back by what felt like inches. I turned quickly and delivered a sharp kick to his shin making him hiss in pain. I smiled and backpedaled a few steps creating some distance between us. He looked up at he and is normally green eyes held a now black tint. He smiled and lurched forward. "Liu?" I questioned as I lifted my sledgehammer up a little higher. "I'm. Not. Liu." He stated in a sing song tone though it was way darker than Liu's normal voice. "I'm Sully, nice ta' meet cha' doll."