3. Late

Josh was freaking the fuck out.

He had woken up late.

And in the 12 years he'd worked in business— the seven he's had his own —he's only been late to work twice.

Then it's three strikes you're out.

He hurriedly threw his suit on and attempted to make his blonde hair look presentable enough for this meeting he had to haul ass to. This was a big meeting too.

Quickly, he put his watch, socks, and shoes on then brushed his teeth. He grabbed his phone off the charger, his messenger bag, and put his coat on before locking his door behind him and heading out to his car.

He was in the office at seven every morning but he didn't pull into the parking lot until nine thirty— half an hour before his meeting started.

Josh rode the elevator up to floor nine and when he exited onto his floor he sighed in relief when he saw his employees working on various tasks they were assigned to. They could still function even without him. He didn't know whether to be happy or disappointed.

"Sir?"

He turned and saw Hayley standing there, a look of surprise on her face. "Good morning, Hayley," he exhaled, finally feeling like he could breathe.

"Is everything okay, Mr. Dun? We've been trying to get ahold of you all morning."

The blonde blinked and pulled his phone out, seeing that he had two missed calls and two texts from Hayley herself along with a few from a couple other co-workers. "I'm alright," he shoved the device back into his pocket and nodded slightly. "I just," he began, frazzled. "Woke up late. I'm here now though. Did you get—"

"Your coffee?" Hayley handed him a warm cup from the coffee shop down the street that he loved. "I grabbed one to bring to you this morning but it got cold so I took my chances and got that one ten minutes ago. You got lucky," she laughed slightly.

Josh smiled. "Thank you, Hayley. I don't know what I would do without you," he began walking to his office and Hayley followed, as usually.

"It's no problem, sir. It's my job," she replied and Josh could hear the smile in her voice. "After your meeting you have to send the order of laptops to tech so they can account for the modifications and get them manufactured and then next week you have a magazine interview and shoot with Modem; they want to make you the cover in a couple months."

Josh stopped dead in his tracks. Modem was one of the biggest business magazines and the biggest in all things tech. They wanted him to be on the cover? "You're kidding."

Hayley must've sensed his shock despite how flustered he was because she laughed again. "No I got the email this morning."

"Holy shit!" His eyes widened. He realized what he said and cleared his throat, knowing it was unprofessional. "I'm excited," he corrected, continuing towards his office.

"Yeah I can tell," Hayley teased him. She had been working for him for five years. She knew him better than he knew himself and had seen slip ups like this. She didn't mind it. No one in the office did. Except for Josh.

"Any update on Dallon's arrival?" Josh asked, fixing his suit jacket.

"Will be in the conference room on floor five by 9:50," she assured. "Is there anything I can help you with, Mr. Dun? You seem very overwhelmed."

"I just—" he took a deep breath. "No, I'm alright. Thank you, Hayley."

"Of course," she nodded. "If you need me you know what to do," she added, stopping in front of Josh's office door.

The blonde just smiled and unlocked his door before entered the room, shutting and relocking the door behind him. He made sure the blinds were drawn over the windows that opened up out into the main cubicle space before leaning taking a seat at his desk and putting his head in his hands. Today was not his day.

His eyes caught the clock- 9:43. He didn't want to keep his visitor waiting so he made a mental note to leave by 9:50 so his appointment had time to set up and Josh had time to prepare himself.

He powered on his computer and it was up in a few short minutes (something his company was praised for—short start up time). The man opened his browser and went to his email, his stomach bubbling with stress as soon as he saw the number 342 next to inbox. He had just checked it the night before at seven thirty.

Sighing, he saw he had one from Hayley labeled with the subject "Meeting for 1.14.19." Josh clicked on it and found PDFs with the agenda and contract that would be signed if everything went as planned. Everything was riding on this going as planned.

Josh printed the attachments off and replied to two more emails before logging off and gathering his things. Coffee, folders, phone, and messenger back in hand (or on body, depending) he exited his office and made his way towards the elevator.

He rode down to floor five, the conference floor, and made his way towards the first room. He could see people sitting around the table and he checked the time on his watch. 9:58. He was doing great.

Upon entering, all heads snapped to him and multiple pairs of eyes watched him as he took a seat in the chair on the end, right next to the man he was meeting with. As he set his things down he realized Hayley was on his left and on her left was his company's lawyer— Ryan.

"Good morning," Josh nodded to the man in front of him, holding his hand out. He grabbed Josh's hand and shook it firmly. "Joshua Dun."

"Dallon Weekes," he smiled. "It's a pleasure to finally be meeting with you."

"The pleasure's all mine," Josh smiled back as their hands separated. He cleared his throat and opened up the first Manila folder he set down in front of him and watched as Hayley took out a note pad to write down any important things that were discussed. "Let's begin, shall we?"