34. Better

I am not justifying cheating. That is why Josh broke up with Tyler in the first place and said those (truthful and deserving) things to him. Josie called Tyler terrible and pointed out why she thought he did what he did to make him reflect on it. She wasn't going to toss him out and not give him anywhere to stay either. Cheating is not okay. I do not think it is okay.

Josh was walking back into the office two days after the situation with Tyler. It was Friday and his vacation technically ended on Sunday but he couldn't sit at home alone after that all happened. He couldn't handle it.

As he was making his way to his office, he saw Ashley glance up at him from her desk and smiled. He had to refrain from rolling his eyes. "Hey, Mr. Dun! I didn't know you were coming back today. How was your—"

However he didn't get to hear the rest of what she was saying because he entered his office and shut the door. He didn't want to listen to her speak. He didn't want to listen to her try to flirt with him. He didn't want to be around her.

Josh took his things off and let them fall on the ground before he sat in his chair and started his computer up. It felt foreign to be doing work again after two weeks but he welcomed it with open arms. It gave him a distraction.

He signed in and grabbed the sales file out of his bag, seeing what all he had to do. There were a lot but it almost didn't seem like enough. Maybe he could take some from his employees. Take the load off of them.

He was looking over the information when the door opened. He looked up and saw Hayley standing in the door. "Hey, Mr. Dun."

"Hello, Hayley," he replied in a monotone voice, looking back down at his manila folder.

"I didn't know you were coming back today."

"Well now you do."

"Do you want me to get you a coffee or anything? You look a little rough."

Josh's eyes snapped back up to look at her. "Yes. A coffee would be great. And then maybe you can make sure everyone is doing their job because looking at the amount of reports I have we're behind."

Hayley pursed her lips and nodded. "Sure thing, Mr. Dun. I'll be back soon."

Josh didn't reply as she left, shutting the door somewhat loudly behind her. He didn't notice that though. He just got started on his work instead. It's all he had anymore.

---

It was about a week after that when Josh was at his computer, doing more work. He had taken sales from his employees and they didn't really have anything else to do so Josh ended up sending them home early and put them down on the payroll for a full day. It was less chaotic with less people in the office.

He glanced at the time, 5:55. He had been at work since six and he didn't really plan on leaving until midnight. Maybe later if he could find more work to do.

The door opened and he saw Hayley walk in. "What?" He asked in a grumpy tone. He didn't want to be interrupted while he was at work.

"I was just going to let you know I'm about to head out."

Josh's head instantly turned to look at her. "You're what?"

"About to head out..."

"No," Josh told her. "I'm gonna need you to stay. There's a few things I need you for."

"I asked to get off early a week ago, Mr. Dun. You said I was good to go."

"That was before I had this much work to do," he snapped.

"You wouldn't have this much work to do if you didn't send all your employees home early and do their work for them," Hayley snapped back at him.

"Why the fuck do you even need to leave early?"

"I have a date. With Ashley."

Josh scoffed. He didn't even process that she was going with Ashley. "A date? Hell no. You're staying. If you walk out that door I'm firing you."

Hayley frowned. "With all due respect, sir, you're being an absolute asshole."

"Excuse me?" Josh warned.

"I asked you for the night off when you were on vacation you can't just say no now. You've never acted like this before. You're trying to bury yourself in work more than you did months. I don't know what the hell's gotten into you but it's affecting Primgold. You've been a dick to everyone here for the past week."

Josh stared at her. He could almost feel steam coming out of his ears due to how pissed off he was. "You went to know my problem, Hayley? My problem is that I had to come back early from my vacation because if I didn't I would lose my god damn mind. I spent the last night of my vacation sitting at the doctor's office getting tested for STDs because my now ex boyfriend cheated on me not once, not twice, but three fucking times!" His eyes filled with tears. "Is that a good enough explanation for you? I got my heart broken I think I'm entitled to throw myself into work!"

Hayley was silent for a moment after Josh's outburst. She looked at him sadly. "I knew something happened. I'm sorry."

Josh wiped his cheeks. "Me too."

Hayley walked over and held her arms out to Josh. He stood up and allowed her to hug him. They never did this but it's what Josh needed.

They pulled apart a few moments later and Hayley looked at him. "I know you're upset and I know you're hurting. And that's okay. Your feelings are valid. But you can't deal with it the way you have been. You don't eat, you get five hours of sleep a night if lucky, and you're being mean to your employees. That isn't okay, Josh."

"I know," he whispered. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay," she smiled. "I know you'll get through this. I've been cheated on. It's the worst feeling. But things'll get better."

"Okay," Josh nodded. "Thank you."

"Of course, Mr. Dun," she took a step back.

"You're good to leave. Have fun on your date."

"Thanks," she smiled and walked over to the door. Her hand was on the knob when Josh stopped her.

"Hayley?"

"Yeah?" She turned back.

"You know you can call me Josh, right?"

Hayley just smiled again. "I'll see you tomorrow, Mr. Dun."

"Bye, Hayley," he smiled back ever so slightly and sat in his chair as soon as she left.

Maybe things would get better.