The Rescue

I lean my head back against the hard rock, feeling its rough surface scruff up my hair and scratch my scalp, but I don't move.

"Ugh! They are late." I say as I finally take my head off of the rough surface.

"They will be here." Newt says back to me.

"If we don't hear from them soon, we are screwed." I say as I roughly run my hands through my hair out of frustration.

"Love calm down, we are getting them back today. All of them." Newt says as he looks up at me and gives me a reassuring smile. I roll my eyes at the pet name he gave to me a month ago.

"Do you hear that?" I ask as I look around. I close my eyes and concentrate on the sound. It's a distant but close metal against metal sound.

"Its the train." Newt says as he begins to get things ready. I re-position my gun in my hands and rest it on my knee. I squint my eyes as I begin to see the faint sight of the train inching closer and closer to Newt and I by the second.

"Are they with the train, love?" Newt asks as he still fumbles with the iron smelter (I don't know what you call it)

I look closer to see if I can see any sight of Brenda and Jorge.

"Not yet." I say as I fall back into my original spot, than again letting my head hit the rough surface of the rock.

"Stop doing that, your gonna bloody hurt yourself." Newt says as he puts his hand under my head and pushes my head away from the rock. I shake my head a little and get back into position.

I look over the rock and see the train now very close to Newt and I. I don't really have to look hard to see a truck by its side going full speed. I try to get a good look behind the train and see another truck behind the train.

Thomas and Vince.

I smile as I look back at Newt.

"Their there." I say as I hear a gunshot ring through the air. I jump a little at the sharp sound that reached my ear.

"They are now only maybe two thousand feet or so away from us." I say as I grip my gun tightly, the train inching closer and closer now. In the distance I can see a black blob hovering in the air getting closer to the train. I realize this blob as a berg.

"Its working, Brenda and Jorge should be leading them away, and Thomas and Vince should already be on the train." I say as I see Newt get ready to stand up and run when it's time, the train now only a few hundred feet away. I smile as I see the trains detach from each other in the middle.

It's almost time.

The train screeches as it comes to a halt almost directly in front of us. I get back down behind the rock as Newt does the same just in case the plan didn't go as planned. I hear banging and someone screaming and I infer them as Thomas, who is probably yelling Minho's name to make sure we get the right train. I hear a whistle echo through the mountains and reach my ears.

"Lets go!" I say as I grip my gun tighter and run out from behind the rock, Newt and the others we brought along close to my heel. We reach the train and the others stop on one side while Newt and I go to the other.

"This one!" Thomas yells as he points towards a train cart right in the front. Newt instantly nods and pulls down his goggles and gets to work. He turns on the gas and begins to break the metal apart. Thomas and I go to the front of the train and look across the dead wasteland of the scorch, both of us staring at the other side of the train. My eyes widen as I see black figures emerge from the side of the train. Vince walks up to us and puts a hand on my shoulder.