End It That Way Too

“There, that’s it.” Thomas starts, causing me to turn my gaze from the table to him. “It's a few hundred miles, based on the railways, everything that Aris told us, that's gotta be where they are headed.” Thomas finishes as her points at a spot on the map. My eyes widen slightly as I notice how far away it is from us. Over a hundred mile journey? This would take weeks, and we don't have that sort of time. “We take everyone who can fight. Follow the roads where we can. We can make it back within a week.” Thomas says again, trying to convince us all that this was a good idea.

“A week?” I finally butt in, looking at Thomas with my face stitched together. “It took us six months to get here.” I start again pointing at the place where we rescued the others. “We got over 100 kids here now, We can't just hang out here forever, especially after what we just pulled. Wicked will be looking all over the streets for all of us.” I finish. Thomas look at me as if he is surprised at what I had just told him.

“Your telling me that your giving up?” Thomas asks me, his stare looking beyond my eyes.

“Of course not, if you go, i'm going to. But your telling me you wanna wander off to some random point on the map? We don't even know what's there.” Before I can continue I am cut off by a voice from behind me.

“I do.” I turn around and see Jorge standing there, slightly walking closer to the group of kids around the table. “It's been a few years, but I have been there before. The Last City, Wickeds whole base of operations. If that city is still standing, that's the last place you wanna go hermano. That's the lions den.” Jorge finishes. My heart picks up in pace at Jorge’s last words.

Lions den

“Nothing we have never done before.” Thomas quickly adds, still set on going to this city. I'm with Thomas here, we need to get Minho out of there, but we should have gotten him the first time. But we fucked up. Now we are at a large disadvantage.

“Yeah with months of planning.” Vince quickly adds. “-and reliable information, the element of surprise, none of which we have now.” Vince finishes, quickly getting very frustrated and angry at the young brown haired boy. “Vince, i’ve thought this through. Would you just hear me out?” Thomas tries to reason, but that only seems to make the man angrier. “The last time we went off half-cocked… I lost everything.” Vince says, anger shown in his voice and actions as he slams his fist on the table while speaking. “-Remember that?” Vince finishes. His statement causing my heart to slightly break even more at the remembrance of what happened 6 months ago. We lost a lot, but Vince lost the most, and that’s non-negotiable.

“Look, I get it, its Minho.” Vince starts back, his face filled with a slight sense of guilt as he tries to calm down. “-But you can't ask me to put those kids on the line for one man, I won't do it.” Vince finishes as he raises his hand up and holds up his pointer finger, emphasizing the word ‘one’

Thomas’ mouth opens, as if to argue back but is interrupted by the sound of static, than subtle but noticeable voices. “Searching the-- now--Completed--scanning sector B now.” the voices are no longer heard as a very familiar sound of humming begins to form in the sky, causing my heart to race as I realize what it is.

A Berg.

“Shit, hit the lights!” I yell, as Jorge runs over to the power generator that runs through the whole complex, giving light to the dimly lit buildings, causing them to turn off.

Vince, Thomas and I run out onto the beach, pretty far from the camp. I look back and see people scurrying away and into the complex that is now completely dark. I catch up to Thomas and Vince and look at the direction of the now loud humming sound and see two bergs high in the sky, lights flashing back a fourth through the city below them.