Hes Not Here

I plug my ears at the ear piercing sound of metal against metal, as Newt and Thomas begin to saw through the door of the train car. We landed at "safe haven" or I guess you could call it the before party of the safe haven. My heart begins to race with excitement as I see that Thomas and Newt are almost completely through the door now. Everyone waiting anxiously on the outside to see their friends. Minho, Aris, Sonya, Eric and Aaron. I just can't wait to see their happy faces again.

Newt and Thomas successfully break the door and push it open. I run to the front of the small crowd that has gathered outside and walk in after Thomas and Newt, Harriet right at my heels. I scan the room of frightened kids searching for my friends. My heart sinks and my head hurts in disgust. These kids look terrible. Their eyes are all red and puffy as if they have been crying for ages and the bags under their eyes are dark a purple, some even look like they have bruises under their eyes. I can see the chains shaking slightly from the terrified kids, but most don't move as if they are scared to. Or they are just broken beyond repair.

"Aris." I hear Thomas slightly whisper. I look over at Thomas from him saying a familiar name. I look up and see Aris and Sonya. I smile at them and move as soon as I hear shuffling behind me followed by someone saying "Aris, Sonya!". I recognize the voice as Harriet. I manage to tug a smile on my face at the reunion.

I look away from the scene and continue looking down the long row of kids. Thomas and Newt continue walking down the row, their heads moving left and right in search of Minho. I follow behind them looking at the kids and giving some reassuring smiles. I stop dead in my tracks when my gaze meets the one of another kid. I feel tears well up in my eyes as I immediately recognize this kid as my brother.

Eric.

I slightly push my way past Newt and run up to Eric. I wrap my arms tightly around Eric's neck and let a tiny sob fall onto his shoulder. I bury my face into the crook of his neck and let my tears run free.

"Missed me that much, huh?" He says sarcastically. I can imagine the stupid smirk on his face but, don't let go of him to get a look.

"Oh shut up." I say though his neck. I can feel his chained up hands lightly graze my back but immediately, grip onto the back of my shirt. I can feel a tear roll down my neck. "Looks like you missed me to, huh?" I say as I realize that Eric is crying alongside me.

"I guess so." He says back. I finally release my grip on him and pull away. I place my hand on his cheek and wipe away the tears that now stained his face. He didn't look as bad as some of the other kids did, but he still looked terrible.

"How about we get those chains off ya" I say through a smile. "Yes please" He quickly responds. I smile and look back up and Thomas and Newt who were now at the back of the train car, still looking left and right in search for Minho. But their faces says it all. They didn't find him.

"He's not here..." I hear Thomas say. I close my eyes slightly and let a sharp breath escape my mouth.

He wasn't here. Who knows where he could be at this point. Maybe even dead.

I look at Newt and see hurt cross over his face, he meets my gaze and I give a small smile to him as if saying 'i'm sorry'. He purses his lips together and nods, showing that he understands.

We broke off everyone's chains and we were now leading everyone out of the train cart. Eric stood next to me, refusing to leave my side, no matter how much I told him to follow the rest. The last few people stumble out of the train car slightly but luckily, Thomas and I are there to catch their falls. Once the last person steps out and I step back into the train car and take one last look. I let out a huge sigh and purse my lips together. I put my hand up in the air and put my middle finger up.