Chapter Fifteen

"Did we seriously just leave Bella with one of those dogs?" Eddie asked as we checked the woods around the campsite for anyone or anything dangerous.

I huffed in annoyance towards his attitude and behaviour, he really needs to tone this jealousy down a bit it's really getting on my nerves and he knows it too. I gave the vampire a look but didn't say anything in response to his question.

"I know you hate me right now but I can't help feeling this way, alright Violet? It's not like I can change my entire personality to fit what you want." He told me, raising his voice ever so slightly.

I scoffed, "first of all, I don't hate you, Eddie. And second, I never said you had to change yourself, all I'm saying is you could be a little nicer and stop voicing your hateful thoughts every damn time the pack comes up." With that I picked up my pace. My shoes being covered in the soft snow covering the ground.

As I walked I could hear Eddie catching up with me but keeping his distance, he whispered to himself about what I didn't want to hear, though he kept saying I was too stubborn as well. Just the usual.

I was so focused on everything else that I didn't see the log sticking up out from the ground, my foot hit the wood and I felt myself falling to the ground but not for too long as a pair of hands caught my arms.

Eddie smirked at me, "you're just as bad as your sister." He told me. I glared at him for a second before I suddenly heard something in the background, it sounded close, and it sounded like footsteps.

I grabbed Eddie's sleeve, "wait, do you hear that?" I ask with caution, my eyes flashing around to find anything out of the ordinary.

We both gave each other a look before making our way over to the noise. We were slow on our feet as if we were hunting our pray. The closer we got the more we could hear. The light footsteps rushing around the forest, soft whimpers of pain and unintelligible whispers that almost sounded demonic. I frowned and took another step, then everything stopped as if they had heard us approaching.

Before Eddie and I could move any further, Jake decided to pop out from the trees. I jumped in surprise while Eddie just sighed at the wolf's presence.

"What are you two doing?" He raised his eyebrow in question. I didn't know how to respond though, should I really tell the boy what we had heard?

"We were just patrolling the area, looking for any threats." Eddie told him calmly and without a single sign that it was a lie.

Jake looked to me for confirmation and I quickly nodded. I know this whole ordeal might have been a threat or whatever but I didn't want to scare anyone, if we told them we heard demonic whispers and whimpers they'd probably go into a craze of fear. We had to lie for their benefit, Eddie and I could handle it, hopefully.

Eddie and I gave each other once last look before following Jake back to the tent but also keeping an ear out just in case.

Jake wanders off away from us while we walk over to Bella who was already awake. I gave her a smile before running over to my two boys, Nate and Seth who were in their wolf form. I gave them a scratch behind their ears as Eddie and Bella talked.

"I'll see you guys when we get back. Don't do anything stupid, yeah?" They both gave me a nod before running off back into the trees.

I turn my attention to the problem that was unfolding behind me, Jake had figured out about Edward's proposal and, of course, was angry.

Bella looked at her mate in disbelief then looked to Jake, "Jake, I.. You knew he was listening." She accused Eddie.

"He deserved to know." He replied, sounding nice for once but do not be deceived, it is Edward after all.

Jake began to run away from the couple and I let him, he needed to cool off or he would get too angry for my liking. This whole love triangle wasn't working for me, nobody was happy, Jake especially.

"Don't! Jake, stop." Bella called.

I stepped forward to stop her but Edward grabbed my arm to prevent me. I gave him a questioning look but only got ignored as he sat down on a nearby rock. I sighed and sat next to him, we could both hear Jake's thoughts and I watched Eddie's reaction but he had none, just the same blank stare.

"She will always love you, Eddie." I breathed out heavily, "even when you screw everything up, she will always love you."

💙