Chapter Nineteen

I stood beside Victoria. We waited for the Volturi to show and I knew they weren't going to let her go without a fight, no matter if she was my biological sister or not.

I turned to the red head, she was scared, uncertain. I grabbed hold of her hand, imagining we were kids again who were far too small and innocent for the world of war. Her being a toddler and I having to protect her and Robert, who was only a babe, from our father.

She gave a slight smile that looked more like a grimace but right now I had no words that would make her feel better, because may be it wouldn't be.

Jane, Alec and a few of the guard's walked into the field. Pulling their hoods back at the same time once they had stopped. I rolled my eyes at them but said nothing.

"Impressive. I've never seen a coven escape an assault of this magnitude." Jane spoke first, her red eyes casting over the fire of burning bodies.

As the leader of his coven Carlisle stepped forward, "we were lucky." He told them calmly, trying to keep this from any sort of fight.

"I doubt that." Jane responded blankly, her stare piercing into the man.

"It appears we missed an entertaining fight." Alec spoke next. I saw his eyes shift to the new member, Victoria but he remained quiet about it, probably waiting for the rift time to speak up.

The blonde twin nodded, "Yes, it's not often we're rendered unnecessary."

"If you'd arrived a half hour ago you'd have fulfilled your purpose." Edward said, giving a slight sneer making me hit him on the arm. He knew where aggression would get him and yet he still pressed on with it.

I sighed, "Yes, and it is such a pity." I announced to everyone with sarcasm, "must we keep up this charade?"

Jane raised an eyebrow at my behavior, "what's the rush, mother?" She asked before she caught sight of the red head next to me, "you are keeping the enemy alive? And you stand next to her as if you are ready to protect her."

"What is the meaning of this?" Alec hissed, showing his teeth in threat towards Victoria who almost seemed to cower back in fear of the witch twin's powers.

I didn't speak, only glared while Carlisle tried to keep the calm in this awful situation, "her mind, it has changed for the better. She has come to us for help, she will not harm anyone while she is in our care." He tried to reason with the obviously stubborn child vampires.

"And this is known as the absolute truth?" Alec questioned.

Where had I gone wrong with these two? I should have taken them with me when I left, they didn't have a real family in the Volturi and children need a family. I hate to admit it but I sometimes think those two twins should never have become vampires, they only bring pain and misery. Although there are times they are different, where they act like the children they were supposed to be.

"It is known as a promise." I said, "she is now apart of this family, there is nothing you can change about that."

They didn't seem too happy about that as they growl at me, while their guards stand their ground with emotionless faces.

Demetri stepped forward, "she is the enemy. She must be taken care of." He told us. He could only follow orders, his gaze fierce but not as intimidating as the twins if I wasn't their creator.

I stand my ground, probably being the only one to feel completely confident in the eyes of the two. "You will not touch her." I told them with a sneer, showing I was not playing around.

They both frowned, "you dare disobey the law of-?" Jane began but I had to cut her off.

"I was the one to create those laws! I created you, child!" I raised my voice out of anger, "you dare disobey me?" I raised an eyebrow challengingly, just waiting for anyone to make a move. Alec's steely glare faltered slightly, I saw it, he turned his eyes to his sister for her reaction.

Jane's reaction was anger unsurprisingly, "Felix." She called, her red eyes seeming to darken.

The dark haired vampire stepped forward, ready to attack the one of two people our side was protecting. The boy looked unsure of his orders but knew he would be killed if he stood back and did nothing, so he started to pick up his pace.

I felt my eye twitch in such anger that I could feel my body literally burning, going from my feet to my head. I've never felt such anger, not for my human sister, not for my mate's but for my real baby sister.

My hand shot up in defense and I shouted, "NO!" With such force it sent the large vampire flying back behind his companions and even further. He landed with a thud, snow caking his cloak and hair. My eyes snapped back to the blonde child, "you. Will. Not. Touch. Her." I mumbled slowly as if they would finally understand that I was serious, though I knew she wouldn't back down without a fight.

"Mother-" Alec spoke, his expression softening before turning into slight fear for his immortal life. But before he could say anything more his sister's head snapped around to face him.

"Alec, quiet." Jane demanded her twin with a hard tone, one she would never use for him. Alec looked down, defeated by a simple telling off but it was from his sister and that was worse then anything.

I huffed, "leave him be, Jane. Can't you see you are losing this fight. Let it go." She shook her head, "remember those stories I told you? You once told me that you would do anything to meet the little redheaded princess who had run away. Well, here she is." I motioned to Victoria who gave me a look of wonder and bewilderment. She would never have defined herself as a princess.

"Jane." Demetri spoke, "we should listen. She is your mother, she is our creator. She must know of what she speaks." He tried to reason which I was thankful for, he was always the more calm one in the group.

The blonde vampire sighed, "you have won. We shall tell Aro of what we have witnessed today. I bid you farewell Cullens, human, princess and mother." She nodded and they retreated back into the tree line.

Their absence now left everyone to breath, though one of us only needed oxygen. I finally relaxed, my muscles untensing slowly, my hands uncurling from their fists.

Carlisle breathed out a laugh as he held onto his wife, "that went well. I think it's time to go home, don't you?" Everyone nodded, grabbing onto their mates and leaving back to the house.

"You're safe with us." I told Victoria and she gave me a small smile before wrapping me in an uncertain hug which I returned, "you're home."