Chapter Seventeen

I held my breath, waiting for the redheaded vampire to say something, anything. The wind picked up making snowflakes fly into my hair but I ignored every one of them as I looked over to Edward with worry which he returned.

No one moved, it was silent except for the constant blowing of the wind in the background. Victoria's back faced me as she stared at Riley and Seth who were lying on the ground in front of her, Riley's eyes looked to the woman he thought he loved, pleading for her to help him.

I reached for Bella behind me instinctively, grabbing onto her jacket while she gripped my wrist tightly, her breathing unsteady and rapid. I flicked my eyes over to Nate who was ready to pounce on the dangerous vampire if she decided to attack, he growled quietly with his teeth bared, never taking his eyes off her.

I breathed needlessly but it got caught in my throat when I saw Victoria turn ever so slightly, the side of her face showing, her eyes cast down.

"That little girl, the one you knew." She started, her voice full of emotion, "she was scared, she was innocent . . . She turned into a monster, a killer. She turned into me." Victoria looked at me as if she could see right through me with those sad eyes of hers, "I'm still scared, Letty." She whispered softly, her eyes turning glassy with tears of venom that would never fall.

I matched her expression, my emotions going into overdrive as I felt mine and her own all at once. It was like I suddenly caught the wave of pure agony rushing off of her, and it hit me hard. My legs almost gave out but I stood my ground, I needed to stay strong for this broken woman.

I took a cautious step forward, letting go of the hold I had on my human sister. We kept our stare as I spoke, "so am I, Tori. Everyday." My shoe crunched in the snow as I took another step, "you don't have to be alone."

I heard as Nate growled, telling me I was getting too close to the redhead for his comfort so I stopped, now only a couple feet away from her.

Victoria shook her head, turning away, "I've done horrible things."

"So have I." I told her truthfully.

"I've killed hundreds."

"I killed off an entire village."

"I created an army."

"So did I."

"I tried to kill your pathetic sister!" She suddenly yelled, appearing inches away from me in a flash, yet I didn't flinch or show her any sort of emotion.

This made all the men around me, excluding Riley, to growl viciously towards the woman, snapping their teeth her way threatingly. We both ignored them as we stared each other down, her glare sharp but less intimidating than I would have thought.

"You did, but only because you thought it was right. Your mate was killed by hers, you were hurt and I don't blame you." I began, "and although I sympathize with you does not mean I will choose sides. Though you do have to choose yours." I said, my face void of emotion now.

I saw the internal battle she was having with herself. I heard it in her thoughts, I saw it in her eyes, I felt it in her emotions. Everything inside her was going a mile a minute.

I sighed and looked to the ground, "think about what you really want, Victoria." I told her, meeting her gaze, "Do you want a family where you will be loved and safe, where you will feel welcome and like you belong? . . . Or do you want the cold, hard revenge that will keep you bitter for the rest of your days? You're ice, Victoria, but I know you can be fire."

My words of wisdom didn't seem so special when I spoke them but I had to say something, anything to help her pick the right path she should walk down. I couldn't watch her walk down the path of darkness and hatred or there would be no happy ending for any of us.

Family. Love. Belonging. Revenge. Cold. Bitter. Fire or Ice. Her thoughts spoke, each word echoing in her mind for me to hear clearly.

I brushed the hair from my face while Victoria ignored it. Those red eyes bored into mine with raw emotion that you had to feel to understand, and I did, I understood perfectly. One side of her battle was winning, one side was loosing. She still didn't utter a word, scared she would make the wrong decision and regret everything.

Victoria breathed out deeply, shutting her eyes tightly and balling her fists with frustration towards herself. She couldn't even say the words.

"Don't you do it, Victoria." Riley spoke up from his spot underneath Seth who kept him down, " Don't let her trick you! You told me, remember? You said they would do this!" The shouting seemed to knock her out of her thoughts as her eyes snapped open.

"Riley, you little bastered! Let me think!" Victoria yelled as if she was telling off a child, hissing in his direction, her eyes now feral as they used to be.

"All would be forgiven and forgotten over time if you let all of this go, Victoria." Edward cut in for the first time, "Bella, I know, would forgive you if you mean anything to Violet. My family would welcome you hesitantly but over time you would become one of us."

I simply and silently agreed with Edward, the Cullens could be a forgiving family, but they also can be the complete opposite if it came down to it. I was the same, but I would be willing to let Victoria in with open arms if it meant everyone was happy and safe, especially my mates and sisters.

Victoria nodded slowly, still mulling over the matter at hand, "you are very kind Edward Cullen, and your family. The lengths you would take just to make one of your own happy, I respect that." She was calm, having a level head and civil attitude to Edward for once. She seemed to change so suddenly as if someone flicked a switch, "there was only one thing I ever truly wanted these past centuries."

I frowned as she paused, her mind going blank, her eyes locked on mine. The weight of her emotions shifted as they became less and less heavy, only one emotion remained out of the many before it. Love.

"All I've ever wanted was to have my sister back."
💙