Sakura's confession

Naruto's P.O.V

After Madara's confrontation, I tried to sense Sasuke's chakra by using sage mode but I was unsuccessful. Kakashi-sensei and Captain Yamato pried me to get inside. Instead of sensing Madara I sensed Sakura, Kiba, Lee and Sai's chakra coming to me. I got up. "Sai, Kiba and even Fuzzy Brows?"

"Naruto," Sakura looked at me sternly. "We need to talk." I came down with Shinju following. Lee looked at Sakura in shock, I as well couldn't process the information either.

"What did you just say, Sakura-chan?" I looked at her in disbelief. Sakura looked away, blushing and looked at me sheepishly.

"I said...I love...I said I love you, Naruto." Shinju looked at her deadpanned. "I said I didn't care about Sasuke-kun anymore." I knew something wasn't right, she couldn't have given up on Sasuke. I furrowed my eyebrows. "But why? Why now? If it's a joke, then it isn't funny, Sakura-chan."

Sakura looked at me blankly. "How could I be in love with a missing-nin? A criminal? That's why, Naruto, you can forget about that promise you made to me." She forced a smile. I knew something was behind her fake confession! She wanted me to forget the promise I gave her three years ago.

"What are you saying?" Captain Yamato approached us but was stopped by Kakashi-sensei. Captain Yamato had no idea what we were discussing. "Why are you saying stuff like this all of a sudden?" I questioned her. Too many questions were swarming in my head.

"I already said; nothing happened!" She persisted. "It's obvious why I could fall for someone like you." Sakura came towards me and hugged me. "Sasuke-kun keeps getting further away from me. But you, Naruto, have always been by my side. I finally realized who you really are, Naruto."

I overheard Shinju sigh exasperated of this BS Sakura-chan was giving me, only to get shoved by her father. "Sasuke, he continues with his sins. He continues to break my heart. You put me at ease." I had enough of Sakura trying to give up on Sasuke, I knew deep down she still loved him! I pulled her away. "That's enough Sakura-chan!" I scolded her. "I said; I don't think this joke is funny!"

Sakura looked at me and smile forcefully again. "Why are you so angry? All I said was I like you now, instead of Sasuke-kun."

"I hate when people lie to themselves!" I said sternly, Sakura looked up. "I'm lying to myself? If you hate me, then just say it straight to my face, instead of making stupid excuses!" Her voice rose.

"For you to come all the way out here just to tell me that?" I tried to reason her. Sakura got angrier. "Just to tell you that? Do you really think it's that easy for a girl to confess her feelings?! You're the Kyuubi's Jinchuuriki and Akatsuki's after you! Try to worry more about yourself for a change! I came after you because I wanted you to return to the village! That's all!"

"All I'm hearing is just a lame excuse." I looked at her sternly.

"I don't care for Sasuke-kun anymore, now that he's become a criminal. That's why the promise you gave me doesn't matter anymore!"

"Sasuke loves his family and his clan. Since his love for them was so deep, I don't think he can forgive what happened to them easily." I defended him. "It doesn't matter if the promise I made with you is gone." Sakura looked at me in shock. "I personally want to save Sasuke." I declared. I couldn't believe Sakura gave up on Sasuke already.

Kiba approached and whispered to Sakura. "Wouldn't it be better just to tell him the truth?" Sakura stepped on his foot, and he yelled in pain. "That's enough!" Sakura yelled. "I'm going back! Let's go."

Shinju's P.O.V

Even I could see through her BS. I crossed my arms. I knew she was hiding something. I felt Sai forming a clone. Finally, after Sakura and the rest of them disappeared from our sight, Sai's clone came out. "Sai, why are you here?" Naruto looked at him.

"It's a clone," Dad informed him.

"I will tell you what Sakura really came here to say, but wasn't able to." So it was a covered up story after all. I stared at Sai.

"What she really came to say?" Naruto repeated. Dad sighed. "What do you mean, Sai?" Tenzo intervened.

"Sakura didn't come here to confess her love to you. She came here to tell you something that's been decided by the current members of Konoha."

"I knew something was off," I stated monotonously. "She really was hiding something, huh?" I folded my arms. Naruto stared a Sai wanting to hear more.

"Why she wasn't able to tell you everything...I understand it now." Sai mumbled. "Tell me, what has been decided?" Naruto ordered rather than asking. It was understandable, we were the only ones who were unaware of what we were going to happen.

"Sasuke will be dealt with, by Konoha's hand." I tensed up. My village was going to kill Uchiha Sasuke. "All your comrades will take action based on this.

Naruto twitched and his eyebrows furrowed. "Sakura-chan did-," Naruto grabbed Sai's shoulders and shook him. "Did Sakura-chan really agree to this?" The Konoha-nin exclaimed in outrage. "Sakura-chan really loves Sasuke!" A friend who betrayed Konoha is no longer a friend but an enemy to me. I thought. "Still...she would..." Silence fell.

"After the recent attack on Konoha by the Akatsuki, the shinobi of Konoha can no longer neglect Sasuke who is now collaborating the Akatsuki." Naruto let go of Sai. "Sakura is no fool or a child who wouldn't understand the situation an circumstances. This is why she came here in person to tell you this."

Dad sighed and shook his head in dismay. The knucklehead ninja clenched his fists not wanting to believe this. "Then why didn't she tell me the truth?!"

I approached him and put a hand on his shoulder. "It's not something that can be said easily. Sakura knew it would be painful for you." Naruto stared blankly. "Even so..."

"By confessing her love to you and giving up on Sasuke, she relieved you of the heavy burden of your promise." Promise? Naruto must have promised Sakura that he would bring Sasuke back. I must have missed a lot when I left.

I thought, staring at Sai. "Even so, you said that you wanted to save Sasuke yourself. I think that's why she couldn't tell you the truth. Sakura was considering your feelings. She must've known you would respond like that. To be honest, Sakura forbade us from telling you the truth." At least she was considerate. I mentally added. "She said she'd find a way to tell you. It was her duty."

"Then if she knew how Naruto would react, then would it mean she wasn't planning on telling him the truth in the first place?" Tenzo asked. "Exactly, she was hiding something Tenzo. Thank you for your analysis." I said sarcastically.

"Shinju, that's enough," Dad warned me. "What is Sakura planning to do?"

I looked away and stared blankly at the abyss. "Sakura is probably- she's planning to kill Sasuke by herself," I said plainly. Naruto tensed.

"Is that it, Sai?" Tenzo looked at the pale boy worriedly. 

Author-chan's note, because it's Valentines Day! 

Ah, yes Valentines Day! Looks like it was a fake confession after all. 

Also, I want to pay my respects for Stoneman Douglas High as it was the one-year anniversary from the mass shooting. 

- Stay tuned for tomorrow's chapter.