The last glance

The area trembled with excitement, fear, and determination. I gave one last look to the crowd, knowing there would be a third of us making out of the war. I turned to the Hokages and saluted. Dad came forward and hugged me tightly. "Whatever happens between us, I just want you to know that I love you with all my heart." I couldn't help but shed a few tears and held my father tightly. "I love you too, dad," Dad bent down to my level and stared directly into my eyes.

"I can't keep a promise that we will both come back alive. If we ever do, I'll be more than grateful. If we don't-,"

"Dad, please! Don't think of that." I interrupted him quickly. "You are the Copy Cat Ninja. You managed to conquer the Third Great Ninja War. You are one of the strongest ninjas out there." I hoped more than stated. I was fearing for my life as well. I didn't know what was going to happen next.

"Shinju." Dad's eyes pierced through mine. "If I'm no longer in this world, the war ends, and you are still alive, I want you to go to my room. You'll see a scroll hidden deep in my closet. I want you to open it." I never felt this way before. The ill-stricken feeling of not knowing what the future holds, who'll live, who'll die? Dad didn't let go of me just yet. It was like he wanted to stay like this forever as I wished for this moment to never end. Dad kissed me on the forehead, "Your mother would be proud. You changed so much, and I will always be proud of you. I love you, Shinju." He mumbled. "I love you too, dad." Guy approached us and patted Dad on the shoulder, telling him it was time to go. "Guy!" He turned around. "Please keep my father safe. I'm counting on you." I held out my hand. 

Guy grabbed my hand and held it firmly. "I promise." This battle was no longer a joke. One step further, and no one would be the same anymore.  War changes everyone, once a warrior kills, their mind and psychology changes. The duo went back to their stations, in front of their division. I held my head high, seeing the pair leaving my sight.

"Kid." Tsunade walked towards me. "Tsunade-sama, please don't call me a kid." She whacked me on the head. I yelped in pain. "You aren't a fully grown adult yet, and you're still in your angsty teenage years." I looked at her blankly. "Besides, if anything happens to me, you're going to regret your last sayings to me." 

"You're part of the Legendary Sanins, you have the Strength of a Hundred Seals, and you are the Hokage. I highly doubt you are going to have a scratch on you when we meet again." I said monotonously. "Brat! Can't you say something more sentimental?" She curled her fists, ready for another punch.

"It was sentimental. Would you want me to speak to you in Uchiha? Their language is very peculiar yet found in every common body language. The Uchiha language is monotonous, and the spokesperson barely moves, lacks facial expressions, and stoned face the whole time." I dodged Tsunade's punch. "Brat!" She threw a few more punches before calming down. "You've changed, Shinju. You're smiling, and you no longer have that lock in your heart. Although I sense that you still feel troubled. Is it Sasuke?" I clenched my jaw, hearing the tyrant's name.

"Please don't say any nonsense, Tsunade-sama. If we don't meet again, it was a pleasure being your subordinate and working by your side." She put her hand on my head. "Come back home safe. I don't want to lose my goddaughter. Let alone, I've lost so many people I cherished and loved. I nearly lost my godson as well." 

Her godson? How many people were her godchildren? "Who was your godson-." Tsunade pursed her lips before sealing my lips with her index finger. "Sh." She silenced me quickly. "You'll understand soon." I raised a brow in confusion. "Now go." Tsunade kissed me on the forehead, sharing one last glance with me before heading back to her place. The knot in my stomach increased as the war was approaching closer. The uneasiness in my mind couldn't go away. Before, when I killed, I was so sure of myself and wasn't afraid of death but now. I've made new friends, learned to love, and opened up. Something a twelve-year-old me wouldn't imagine doing. Now that the people I care are here standing on the frontlines. I knew it wasn't going to be the same, there was no turning back.

I scanned my eyes to Konoha 11 amongst the crowd seeing all of them have mixed feelings. Luckily, Shikamaru noticed me staring at them from afar, he nodded at me and tapped Ino's shoulder. Ino noticed and linked my mind to her's and Konoha 11.

"Everyone," Konoha 11 had their eyes upon me. "Don't be afraid you'll be alright. Please, let me give a few words before we all depart." Some of them started to tear up. "Give each other one last glance before you leave. Try to collect as many memories as you can and store them somewhere special in your heart. Think about all your hardships, your laughs, your cries and your moments together. Kami knows what is going to happen, how long the battle will last, who'll die, who'll live. Don't fear death as the pain will subside quickly, don't show your emotions unless if they are overwhelming. If we ever find each other again after the war, we'll get a drink and reminisce about our past. Some of all will be gone by then. " I paused for a while. "It was a pleasure to get to know you all." 

I heard some of them cry and others trying to keep their head high. "Keep moving forward, and don't be afraid of the future." I cut my connection with Ino and waited for Gaara to give the signal. Silence bestowed among the crowd as they all waited anxiously for the war to officially start. Gaara yielded his arm forehead signaling all divisions to disperse. "Onward!"

The crowd roared and cried as all the leaders dispersed to their divisions. We all ran to our positions, our eyes shining in determination. I ran with my father beside me. "I'll see you on the other side," I whispered to my dad. Dad looked at me, pained. "Please, come back home safe." He nodded at me. His division and mine parted as I gave him one last glance.