Ch. 10 Reigning Pain in New Orleans

WOLF HUNT
[1×09]

WITH KLAUS NOW BEING THE NEW KING OF THE QUARTER, HE HAD DECIDED TO CALL A MEETING. I sat at the end of a long table, across from Klaus, with Hayley in the seat next to me. The higher up vampires in Marcel's crew sat at the table, Marcel and Diego among them. It was obvious most of the vampires hated me. It didn't matter. I didn't like them either, but none of them could lay a finger on me unless they wanted it ripped off by Klaus.

The hybrid tapped his fork against his glass, calling everyone's attention. I looked up at him, deciding to listen for the sake of boredom.

"Let us begin with a toast to our shared gift, immortality. After a thousand years, one might expect life to be less keenly felt, for it's beauties and it's sorrows to diminish with time, but as vampires we feel more deeply than humans could possibly imagine."

He motioned for the compelled staff to serve everyone. I looked away as they all slit their wrists and let their blood flow into the vampires' cups as Klaus continued.

"Insatiable need, exquisite pain. Our victories and our defeats. To my city, my home again. May the blood never cease to flow," he said raising his glass and glancing at Marcel.

"And the party never end," Marcel put in.

"To New Orleans," Diego finished.

Then everyone, except Hayley, toasted. Mine was of course just juice, but I still raised my glass and saw Klaus' smile widen. "To New Orleans," they all proclaimed. Then they all drank.

Klaus had asked me to try to work with him for the sake of our kid and mine. While I didn't like the vampires, I got the politics. Klaus had to remain the strongest to keep them under control and to do that he also had to have his own girlfriend on his side. While that title wasn't official, all the vampires knew what was going on with me and Klaus now. They would notice if we were on different sides.

"I understand that some of you have questions regarding the recent change in leadership and I invited you here tonight to assure you that you are not defeated. No, my intentions moving forward are to celebrate what we have. What Marcel, in fact, took and built into his. A true community of vampires," Klaus said.

"What about them?" Diego asked, pointing to me and my sister. "The wolves."

I glared. So much for friends.

"Had you let me finish, Diego, you would know that there is, of course, one future matter that I would like to address. As many of you know, Rory is carrying my child. Consequently, I trust you will all pay her the appropriate respect."

Klaus had been walking as he spoke, and now placed a hand on my shoulder.

"However, I understand that some of you are concerned by this vicious rumor. That I intend to use the blood of our child to create hybrids. I assure you that I do not," he said.

"Father of the year," Hayley muttered. Klaus then returned to his seat, clearly annoyed by my sister. I tried to hide my small smile.

"It appears I will have to earn your trust. Very well, we'll eliminate the root of your anxiety," Klaus said.

I straightened. What was he talking about?

Me and Klaus had talked about the vampires the night before, but nothing about our baby or the wolves had gotten brought up in our conversation. I knew Klaus would never hurt it. So what was he doing?