Ch. 7 Chasing the Devil's Tail

EVERYTHING WE LOVE
[2×07]

I WENT UPSTAIRS TO CHECK IN ON ELIJAH, GIVEN THAT THE VAMPIRE WAS STILL UNCONSCIOUS. I found Klaus standing over his brother, trying to get into the vampire's mind. Klaus suddenly spun towards me, grabbing me by the throat. I gasped in surprise. "What are you doing?" I asked.

Klaus let got of me, sighing. He took a deep breath, wiping away blood that was running from his nose. "I'm sorry, my love, I was trying to enter Elijah's thoughts to wake him. Esther has locked me out," he explained.

I moved towards Elijah, noticing something on his neck. I pulled the collar of his shirt down to reveal a weird red mark. "Is this rash some side effect of the witchy acid trip he's on?" I wondered.

I moved out of the way and Klaus took a closer look at it. "I haven't seen this since I was a child. Mikael would return home from battle more blindly temperamental than usual and our mother would use the petals of a rare Merlock orchid to put him to sleep. She would mend his mind with a spell and then wake him with the roots of the same plant." He turned towards me. "If she has access to it now, then maybe it also grows in the bayou. You stay here with your wolves and mind the fort," he told me and headed towards the door.

"I'd rather rip your mother's head off," I told him. She had already taken my kids from me, the wolves, and now she was messing with both the Mikaelsons. I could tell something was up with Klaus, not that he would tell me what it was.

"Stay clear of her. I mean it, Rory. She already got to you once. I will not find you victim to her madness," Klaus told me.

I sighed. "I won't go after her. I promise," I told him.

"Good," he said, before he kissed me. "Love you."

"Love you too," I said. Klaus left and I turned towards my best friend.

"I've learned a few things from your mother. I won't go after her. I'll go after everything she loves," I told him.

|

When I got back to the bayou, Jack was sitting on the dock drinking. There was what I guessed was Oliver's body, burning out on the middle of the lake.

"I'm so sorry, Jack," I said.

He jumped to his feet. "This is bull. Crescent tradition says you have a funeral at dawn, and no one is here. That loyalty- loyalty's gone," he said, and started walking away.

I followed. "We're standing around moping over Ollie's body when there's a war to be fought. I understand that you have to grieve, Jack. You waited for me, so I'll do the same for you. But our people need their alpha," I told him. I took the bottle away from him and walked off.

|

Aiden went with me to Marcel's loft. I was pretty sure it was more him hoping to see Josh than actually wanting to help.

"Where's your alpha?" Marcel asked, while we entered. He was sitting down, reading.

"Unavailable," I said, the annoyance obvious in my voice.

"So you brought junior varsity?" he asked, referring to Aiden. "I'm getting a little tired of you using my place as a den for wayward wolves."