Fairy Tales

FAIRY TALES
[2×01]

THE LIGHTS IN THE SAFE HOUSE WERE DIMMED AS REBEKAH MIKAELSON SAT WITH HER TWO NIECES. She was in the nursery rocking chair, baby Hope in her arms. On the floor sat Lilly, who was playing with some toys. "I think it is time for bed, sweet girl," Rebekah announced. Lilly shook her head no, making the woman smile. "Don't be difficult," she told her.

"Story," Lilly said.

The Original rolled her eyes, knowing the little girl wouldn't take no for an answer. "Go hop in bed and I'll tell you one," she promised. Lilly did as she asked, and Rebekah sat down in a chair next to her, Hope still in her arms.

"Dr. Sues?" Lilly asked.

Rebekah smiled. The little girl couldn't exactly say Dr. Seuss yet, but she tried. "Not tonight. I have one that is true," Rebekah told her.

"Once upon a time, there was a majestic king who lived with his noble brother in a colorful kingdom where music and art were celebrated. The king had never planned on falling in love, but there was a beautiful queen who stole his heart in seconds. The queen already had a young princess, but the king loved her like she was his. The king did not forsee having a child with the queen, but they lived in an enchanted land where all things were possible. In time, they were blessed with another beautiful baby daughter. He only wished peace and happiness for the two princesses. Still, the king had demons who pursued him," Rebekah told her. Lilly smiled as her aunt continued.

Rebekah stood up and walked over to the crib nearby. "There was a ruthless beast who wanted to take the kingdom for her own. Armed with a pack of untamed creatures she drove the other magical creatures from the land. And there was a wicked sorceress with enchanted stones that weakened the king on every full moon."

She laid little Hope in her crib, before going back over to Lilly and sitting down on the bed. "Seeing the shadows his enemies cast upon their home, the king and queen were driven to send their beloved princesses away. Convincing all who remained that they were forever lost. In their sorrow, the king and queen turned away from the world. The castle closed its doors and the kingdom fell. Some say that the only light that shines in the castle illuminates the shadow of the once mighty king in the room meant for his child. But as the ruthless beasts took rule over the fallen king's realm, little did they know that he, his queen, and his brother would not rest until their enemies were vanquished. For they believed that one day they would heal their kingdom and bring their princesses home. So that they might live happily ever after," Rebekah finished. Lilly smiled as the vampire tucked her in. "Goodnight, love."

"Goodnight," Lilly said, while Rebekah kissed her on the head.

The vampire stood up, moving towards the doorway. "Auntie Bex," Lilly called.

"What is it, darling?" Rebekah wondered.

"Is Mommy ever going to come back to get me?" the little girl asked.

Rebekah looked at her. While she was definitely enjoying her time with the two girls, she hated that they couldn't be with their parents. "Some day. I'm not sure when though," she told her.

I'm not crying. You're crying.

Please vote and comment!