Ch. 21 When the Levee Breaks

RUN
[2×19]

AS PLANNED BY ELIJAH, THE FIVE OF US SPENT THE NIGHT IN THE EMPTY CLUB. Of course, the wolves stood guard outside at all hours. After getting an update from Klaus and Elijah the next morning, I went to share the news with my sister and brother in-law.

"Ok, so the good news is that Dahlia still doesn't know we're here. Bad news, she's given us until tomorrow night and then she's coming for Hope," I told the two other adults. I had just gotten Hope dressed. Lilly was in another room playing.

"Then we get out of here," Hayley said.

"Look, guys, I want to go as much as you two do, but think. Freya said that Dahlia was drawn to Hope's magic. No matter how far we go, she'll still be able to track us. At least this place is spelled. No one can do magic here. Not Hope or Dahlia," I told them.

"Sure this place is spelled, but we've seen bigger magic than this break. I say we run while we can," Jackson told me.

I sighed, and put Hope in her play pen. I looked down at the little girl for a second, before looking towards the other room where Lilly was playing. "It's a risk either way. They're both just so little. This isn't fair. Witchcraft, magic spells, special powers. They didn't ask for any of this," I muttered. Then something hit me. "Which means Hope wouldn't miss it if it was gone. Maybe that's it. Dahlia can only sense her when she's using magic. So what if there's a way of stopping her from doing it in the first place?"

"She's just a baby, how are we going to do that?" Hayley wondered.

"I have an idea," I said. "Although, it's dangerous. Especially now."

"Let me do it." We all turned to see Aiden standing nearby. "Whatever it is. It's my fault you guys didn't get away yesterday," he said.

"That wasn't your fault, Aiden," Jackson said.

"Please? Just give me a chance to make it up to you," he said.

|

Hayley and Jackson had gone out, meaning I was by myself with only the wolf guards when flower vines started creeping across a wall outside. "They're dahlias. She knows we're here," I said.

I sat Hope down and called Klaus on two different phones several times, but no answer. "I need you go get help now. Go. Go," I told one of the wolves. He ran out.

I soon heard someone whistling outside. It was the same song the violinist had played. I picked Hope back up.

"Lilly!" I called. The three old ran to my side.

I tried to hide my worry as I bent down to look at her. "Everything's going to be fine, okay? But stay right next to me, okay?" She nodded. I took a deep breath. "Okay," I said.

I turned towards the door, waiting. Soon a dark haired woman came to the doorway. She gasped when she saw Hope. "What a beauty," she said. "Hello, my child."

She took a step forward, but stopped. "I was hoping for a more intimate chat, though I sense by entering you would have me at a considerable disadvantage," she said.

"Why don't you come on in? I'd love to show you some hybrid hospitality," I told her.

"I only wanted to see the little one who's been promised to me. But I see you have another one with her own gifts," she said, looking down at Lilly. The three year old was clinging to my leg.