Ch. 16 Long Way Back From Hell

HUMANITY
[1×14]

NONE OF THE SEARCH PARTIES FOUND KLAUS OR REBEKAH. I wasn't very surprised, but I was still doing everything I could to help. Me and Hayley were doing research when we heard yelling. "Hayley! Rory!"

Me and Hayley quickly got up and went to greet the Original. "Elijah, you're back. Did you find any- thing?" I wondered.

"What is happening?" Hayley asked.

Elijah was taking his shirt off, revealing his name covered chest. His whole upper body- or at least I hoped it was just his upper body- had names tattooed all over it. "I need one of you to make a list of these names. Please," he said.

"Okay," I said.

Oddly enough, Hayley seemed way more uncomfortable with this than I did. I had been living with Elijah for a little while now. He had seen me in more unflattering situations. I grabbed a piece of paper and started writing them down.

"Sabine? Elijah, what is this?" Hayley asked, seeing the one on his wrist.

"I believe they are the names of the woman that Celeste inhabited for the past two centuries," Elijah said.

"It's called a devinette. It's old school. Kind of a riddle. Witches use them to teach their kids. Solve it and it disappears," Marcel explained, walking in.

"Why? What's the point?" Hayley asked.

"Celeste forced me to make a choice between yourself and my siblings," Elijah said, glancing at me. I looked at the ground, feeling a little guilty. "Now she means to mock that choice, taunting me with a childish game. The longer the game, the more they suffer. To find Klaus and Rebekah, we need to solve this riddle. The solution lies somewhere in these names."

Elijah held his arms out, looking at the names. "The name next to Sabine- Annie LaFleur. She's a witch that was shunned from her coven just over a year ago. Never knew why, but I can find out," Marcel told us.

|

I walked through the compound, a hand on my growing bump. I had been doing research, but my body kept trying to fall asleep. I wouldn't let myself because I knew what would happen when I did. I was now talking to Elijah on the phone. "She killed herself?" I asked, referring to Annie LaFleur.

"Yes," he said.

"Let me guess, she drowned in a river?" I asked.

"How'd you know?" he wondered.

"My powers are going crazy. Celeste must be affecting them somehow. I am seeing and feeling almost every freaking death the woman has had in the past two centuries every time I close my eyes," I admitted.

"When did it start?" he asked.

"Last night, I think I've mentally died about fifty times since then," I said. "My favorite was electrocution. I literally felt myself fry to death."

Elijah sighed. "She really has a twisted sense of humor," he said.

"You think? And she is pissing me and the baby off. I can't even keep any food down because every time I die again my little womb occupant decides that she is going to reject everything," I said.