Ch. 24 From a Cradle to a Grave

HOPE
[1×22]

I LET OUT A SCREAM AS I FELT YET ANOTHER CONTRACTION. I knew the baby wasn't going to take too long to get here at this point. The witches had laid me down. I was still struggling and screaming at them.

The doors to the church burst open, and Klaus walked in. I sat up, hoping he could get me and our baby out of here. He tore the head off a witch, before moving towards us. But then the two Harvest girls stepped forward, chanting. Klaus went flying through the air, and was magically held to the wall behind me. He tried to fight it, but it was clear he wasn't going to get free. I laid back, tears running down my face.

Genevieve picked up a knife, and walked back over to me. She stood by my feet, looking up at Klaus. "You should know this brings me no joy, I promise I'll make it quick," she said, while the witches put a sheet over my legs. "Let's begin, shall we?"

"No, no, no, no!" I cried, but it was pointless.

|A Few Days Ago|

I was sat in the nursery, writing. "Writing a love letter to one of your many suitors?" I looked up to see Klaus in the doorway and smiled.

"So who's the lucky recipient then? Just tell me it's not Elijah or Damon Salvatore," he said.

I scoffed. "Damon is my best friend and Elijah is my partner in making fun of you," I said.

"Well, don't tell me it's me. I thought I was out of the running ages ago," he teased, smirking.

"And the award for biggest ego goes to..." I said, making him chuckle. "And I would never write you a love letter to you, because if I wanted- oh." I laughed, rubbing my bump as my daughter started kicking again.

And with that, Klaus was back to being serious again. "How is our littlest wolf?" he wondered.

I looked at him. "Do you want to..." I gestured to my bump. He started to shake his head no, but then just smiled nervously at me. "Come on."

Klaus got down on his knees in front of me and put a hand to my bump. He gasped when she kicked, making me laugh. "You feel that?" I asked.

He nodded, then stood up. "Right. I'll leave you to your secret letter then," he said and walked out. I sighed. I hated how he couldn't just let himself care.

I went back to my letter.

Dear Andrea, or Nichole, or Rose, to my littlest girl,

Your dad just asked if this was a love letter. I guess it kind of is. I have an amazing mother, who I've probably put through much more than she expected when we met. But I never knew my birth mother. I have no idea what she felt like when she carried me. I wanted to write one of these to your sister a few years ago, but her situation was a little bit different from yours. I want to write to you to tell you how happy I am right now. How much me, your dad and your sister can't wait to meet you. How excited all your aunts are to meet you. While your Uncle Elijah and Damon will never admit it, they are too.

I also want to make you a promise of three things that you will always have. A safe home, someone to tell you they love you every day, and someone to fight for you. So there you go, baby girl. The rest we'll all just have to figure out together. I love you.