Chapter Three

Cas did indeed see a lot of Sam and Dean over the next few weeks and began testing new recipes on them.

'I swear, these get better every time you make them,' Sam said one day, taking a bite out of the tiny lemon tarts Cas had made that day.

Dean shrugged, leaning on the glass front counter. In the three weeks it had been since they met, Dean had not spoken a single word to Cas.

'Don't lean on that,' Cas said, nudging Dean away. 'You're getting smudges all over it.'

Dean rolled his eyes and leant against the window opposite instead.

Cas whipped out a cloth and began wiping down the glass counter, watching Dean out of the corner of his eye until Alfie arrived a few minutes later.

'Oh, hey guys,' he said, grabbing an apron from under the register. 'You want some coffee?'

'Actually, yeah, I don't think we've had any yet,' said Sam.

'Coming right up,' Alfie said, taking down Cas's 'Black Coffee Only' sign. 'How long have you guys been here, anyway?'

'Like thirty minutes, I think,' said Sam.

'And Cas hasn't offered you a drink yet?'

'This is not what I pay you for, Alfie,' Cas chided, putting away his cloth.

'No, the sparkling commentary comes for free.'

Sam laughed out loud, and Cas thought he heard a quiet chuckle from Dean, but when he looked up, Dean's expression hadn't changed.

Alfie gave them both a small cup of black coffee and they took a sip. Sam screwed up his face and Dean's nose wrinkled.

'This is terrible,' said Sam. 'What did you do?'

'Huh, that's weird,' said Alfie. 'Wait, did you forget to change the grounds again?'

Cas shrugged.

'Oh my God, you're the worst. Sorry guys.' He took the coffee back from Sam and Dean and set about cleaning out the machine.

Cas then brought out a fresh batch of cupcakes, which he put down on a low shelf next to the glass counter, and pulled out his box of decorating equipment. Dean shuffled closer curiously. 'Charlie put the decorating station out here,' Cas explained. 'She said that the lighting is better and she could see the colours properly. I'm not much of a decorator, but the kids like to watch, so I keep it out here...Any requests?' His breath caught in his throat as he looked up and saw Dean standing inches from him. He found himself frozen in place when he met Dean's bright eyes, and they both stood, staring at each other.

'Yeah, do me a smiley face,' Sam joked, breaking the spell.

Dean retreated back to his spot by the window.

Cas rolled his eyes at Sam, but drew him a little smiley face in icing on a cupcake, and gave it to him.

'Thanks, man,' Sam laughed, taking a bite.

Just then, the bell above the door tinkled as a man in an expensive-looking, black leather jacket and pulling along a small suitcase came in.

'Oh great, you're here!' he said to Cas. 'I've been walking around town all morning looking for this place!'

'Gabriel?' Cas came out from behind the counter and rushed over to him, arms outstretched.

'Whoa, whoa,' said Gabriel, halting Cas in his tracks. 'You're covered in flour.'

'I'm a baker, I'm always covered in flour.'

'That's true,' Gabriel said, a gleam in his eye. 'I guess it's all right, then.'