Chapter Twenty-Five

Winter drew onwards, with Cas wrapping himself up in several layers every time he left the house, Dean grinning every time he threw a scarf over the top and obscuring half of his face.

As much as he hated the cold, he loved using it as an excuse to snuggle close to Dean in the evenings, blankets piled over them both.

They were both in the bakery one frosty December morning. Cas had begun putting up Christmas decorations, and Dean was leaning against the counter, watching him. Alfie was tending to the coffee machine, as usual, though he had recently taken on a much bigger role at the bakery, and came in early to help Cas with the prep.

'Dean, the counter!' Cas protested, moving Dean away from the glass counter.

Cas was decorating the register with tinsel when a customer came in, completely swathed in layers, scarf and hat covering most of her face. Cas glanced up at her, but then did a double take. 'Wait... Charlie?'

'Surprise!' she said, taking off her hat and scarf.

'Charlie!' He flung his arms around her, squeezing her tightly.

Alfie vaulted the counter and jumped on her as well.

'Careful,' Cas said reproachfully, pulling away. 'What are you doing here? Why didn't you call?'

Charlie raised her eyebrows, reached behind the register, and pulled out Cas's extremely dead phone.

'I meant, why didn't you call Alfie?'

'I thought I'd surprise you, that's all.' She looked around the bakery, her eyes fell on Dean, and her face lit up. 'Is this him? Is this Dean?'

Cas blushed. 'Yes, this is Dean.'

Charlie squealed slightly, and hugged Dean tightly. Cas tried to keep a straight face at Dean's shocked expression over Charlie's shoulder.

'It's so great to meet you,' she beamed. 'Oh, wait..' {How are you?}

Dean blinked in surprise. {You sign?}

{Of course. As soon as C-a-s told me you sign, I started learning. I have a group}

{Why?}

{The whole time we lived out here, he never mentioned a man, but he did not stop talking about you when you met}

'That is not true,' Cas spluttered.

'Sure it isn't,' Charlie laughed.

Dean raised his eyebrows, amused.

Charlie then began inspecting the bakery. 'Are these the best decorations you guys could come up with?' she asked, pointing at the pale pink frosting on the cupcakes. 'Clearly you guys need some inspiration around here.' She went behind the counter, peeled off her gloves, and grabbed the fresh batch of cupcakes that Cas had just made.

Cas watched her start to decorate the fresh ones, and shared a confused look with Alfie.

'Um, Charlie?' Cas said.

'Yeah?'

'What are you doing here?'

Charlie glanced up from her cupcakes. 'I'm getting married.'

Cas looked mystified. 'Yes?'

She grinned at him. 'Next month.'

'What?' Cas hugged her again. 'That's so great! I'm so happy for you!'