Chapter Twenty-Seven

Dean and Cas left for Chicago a few days before Charlie and Dorothy's bachelorette party, leaving Alfie with instructions for the bakery. He was to close it for a week and a half starting the day of the party.

Cas was actually looking forward to the road trip this time. Now that neither of them were sick or visiting relatives, it was an enjoyable experience. They planned it to try and visit different motels this time, and Dean laughed every time Cas pointed out something mildly interesting or odd, and when he got the car games wrong. Cas sang loudly, and badly, to all of the music Dean put on. He saw Dean open his mouth to join in a few times, but Dean couldn't quite force it out. Cas sang even louder whenever this happened, and squeezed Dean's knee reassuringly.

'Have you ever been to Chicago, Dean?' Cas asked, as they drew closer to the city.

Dean shook his head.

'We should go up the Sears tower while we're here.'

Dean snorted.

As they drew closer to the city, Dean's brow furrowed, and he reached into the glovebox. He pulled out a map and handed it to Cas.

'I thought you said you knew where you were going?' Cas said.

Dean tapped the map on Chicago city.

'Well, I don't know how to get there either. I thought you did.'

Dean gestured towards the road.

'It's too late to get off the interstate now,' Cas complained, unfolding the map. 'I don't know how to read these.'

Dean waved one hand next to his ear in frustration.

'I don't have a smartphone, and I couldn't work my coffee machine, big surprise I don't know how to read a map,' Cas grumbled, turning the map upside down. 'Besides, I'm not the one that has a tape deck and not a GPS in my car.'

The traffic grew thicker the closer they got, and Dean got more and more anxious. He groaned when Cas still couldn't find where they were going.

'I know you don't like driving in the city, Dean, but it's not my fault you can't fly,' Cas said, getting frustrated himself. 'Just find a place to pull over when we get into town.'

Though he was tense, Dean still found it in him to whistle in appreciation at the Chicago skyline when it came into view. They found a gas station and pulled into it.

Cas got out with the map, still squinting at it, while Dean walked around a little, taking some deep breaths.

'Hey,' Cas said gently, going up to him. 'Are you all right?'

Dean nodded.

'Here, why don't you find it on the map, and I'll get some snacks and some water, what do you think?'

Dean sighed and nodded.

'Take as much time as you need.'

Dean grimaced and turned his attention to the map.

Cas walked into the gas station and picked out as much junk food as possible. He even picked up a slice of pie despite the fact that it was soggy, and it was sad to look at.

Dean was leaning on the hood of the car when Cas came out. {What did you get?} he asked.

Cas passed him the water and stood next to him to show him inside the bag.

{Some good choices} Dean grinned. He took a gulp of water.

'Ready to go?' Cas asked.