Chapter Twenty-Three

A week after Cas and Dean had arrived home, Cas was back to normal, for the most part. Dean's things were still lying in Cas's room. Instead of taking them back to his place, he had just kept replenishing his bag with more clothes.

One night, Dean was working late, so Cas had settled down in his chair with a book and waited for him to come back. When he finally did, he had an uncomfortable expression on his face, and he was slightly flushed. He immediately got himself a glass of water and sat down on the couch.

'What's wrong?' Cas asked, looking up from his book.

Dean shrugged. {Cramps} he said, putting a hand on his stomach.

Cas put down his book and got down from his chair. 'Dean, you're burning up,' he said, putting a hand to Dean's forehead.

Dean pushed away Cas's hand. {It's fine} he said.

'Are you sure? You don't look so good.'

{I just need some water and sleep}

Cas nodded. 'Then let's get you to bed.'

Dean got up and groaned, rubbing his back.

'That hurts?'

Dean nodded.

'All right, you just lie down, I'll bring you some water.'

Cas brought in a tall glass for Dean, then opened all the windows and joined Dean in bed.

Dean was restless that night, tossing and turning, throwing the blankets off, then pulling them back on again. He woke Cas up several times, until, towards dawn, he started shivering uncontrollably.

Cas sat up blearily and found that Dean had taken all the blankets and wrapped himself in a cocoon. Cas put a hand on the roll of blankets and felt Dean still shivering beneath it.

'Dean...' He found Dean's face deep under the covers and touched his cheek. 'Dean, you're really hot,' Cas said in alarm.

Dean said nothing, but continued to shiver.

Cas got up and brought him more water, which he gulped down. 'You should eat something,' Cas said. 'Keep your strength up.' He made Dean a couple of slices of toast, but he only managed a few bites before pushing it away.

'But, Dean-'

Dean shook his head forcefully, then started signing {Trash can} over and over.

Cas was confused for a moment, but then he understood, and scrambled out to the living room to grab the trash can from it, the got it back to Dean just in time for him to vomit into it. Cas rubbed his back and got him more water. It was almost time for him to leave for the bakery, but he didn't want to leave Dean in this state.

{Go} Dean said, correctly reading his body language.

'But-'

{Go} Dean insisted. {I'll text if I need anything}

Cas bit his lip, but started getting ready. He quickly threw on some clothes and went digging through the drawers and cabinets in the kitchen. 'I'm sure I had a thermometer somewhere,' he muttered to himself, but he couldn't find it anywhere. Instead, he soaked a cloth in some cold water, and filled a tall glass, then brought them both to Dean. He placed the glass down on the nightstand, and sat down on the edge of the bed.

Dean was still shivering fiercely, but Cas made him sit up, so he could dab the cold cloth on Dean's forehead and the back of his neck. He slumped against Cas and Cas could feel the heat radiating from him.