Chapter Twenty-One

Cas and Dean packed up and left early the next morning. They hadn't slept much the night before and decided to leave once the sun had come up. Cas got into the car next to Dean, who was grinning at him goofily.

'What?' Cas asked.

{I'm excited for you to meet them} Dean signed, before starting up the car.

Cas nodded, but felt his stomach begin to churn. He pushed it down and called Alfie.

'What's up?' Alfie asked.

'Do you think you could take care of the bakery for a few more days?'

'Sure, but why?'

'Dean's taking me to Sioux Falls to visit his family. He says if you need anything, Sam will help. Is that okay?'

'Yeah of course. How did it go with your parents.'

'We stayed the night at the boathouse and "accidentally" lost Dad's boat.'

'That good? Well, don't worry about the bakery. I'll stay at your place while you're away and make sure everything's covered.'

'Thanks, Alfie.'

Cas then leaned back in his seat, alternating between watching Dean and staring out of the window. Dean glanced over at him, concern clouding over his face.

'I'm fine,' Cas sighed, catching it.

Dean tilted his head slightly and Cas sighed again.

'What if they don't like me?'

Dean scoffed.

'Don't be like that,' Cas said. 'They could easily not like me. If it wasn't obvious, I'm not really a family person.'

Dean shook his head.

'What do you mean?'

Dean glanced at him. Both of his hands were on the wheel of the car, so instead he opened his mouth. 'You just need to find the right one,' he said in a low croak.

Cas, as always, felt a thrill at the sound of his voice. 'I don't know what you mean by that,' he mumbled stubbornly.

Dean rolled his eyes, and switched the music on.

Soon, the rest Cas had missed the night before caught up with him, with the sound of the music and the motion of the car lulling him to sleep. His usual nightmares were a lot more vivid than usual, and he jolted awake a few hours later as the car came to a stop. He looked around blearily and saw that they were at a rest stop.

Dean got out and went around to the passenger side. {You coming?} he asked.

Cas rubbed his face, then nodded and got out.

{We're about half way there} Dean told him as they walked into the bright diner. {Get something to eat, be right back}

Cas looked around at the diner. It was almost empty, and the one girl behind the counter smiled at him.

'Hello,' he said politely.

She handed him some menus. 'Take a seat.'

Cas ordered them both a burger each, and stared out the window, absent-mindedly stirring his milkshake with his straw.

Dean came back out of the bathroom and briefly touched Cas's shoulder as he sat down. {What's wrong?} he asked, once he'd got Cas's attention.

{I left my medicine at home} Cas told him, biting his lip. {We were busy yesterday. I didn't notice}

Dean thought about it, then began signing rapidly. {What time was your flight? We could still make it. Or Sam can fly out with them and meet us there}