Chapter Twenty-Four

Sam was elated when Dean told him he was moving in with Cas. He cleared his schedule at work and began dividing up the furniture with Dean. He immediately let Dean have the TV. He never used it anyway, and Dean would miss it more than he would.

The rest wasn't so easy. Dean tried to argue his case for the couch, but Sam wouldn't allow it.

[Where would you put it? Cas has a couch. His place is too small for another}

Dean shrugged, unable to come up with an argument. {I get the blankets}

Sam scoffed. 'Whatever, take all the blankets you want. Let's just get this stuff in the van, okay?'

Other than the TV, Dean didn't have much else to take with him, so they only needed one trip in the van.

Cas was waiting outside his front door for them to arrive. Gracie was in his arms, in her new harness and leash.

'You walk the cat now?' Sam asked him.

'She was getting restless,' Cas said. 'I'm going to walk her around while you guys get everything in. She won't like all the activity.'

'Sure. We won't be long,' Sam smiled.

Cas place Gracie down and began walking, allowing her to go at her own pace and sniffing at whatever she wanted. He too had closed the bakery for the day, mostly to get Gracie out of the way. He took her past the bakery, and she purred as she recognised Cas's scent at the door. Eventually, Sam texted him to say they were finished, so they made their way back to the apartment.

The van was gone, and so was Sam, so Cas and Gracie returned to Dean alone in the apartment, arranging his things.

Cas took the harness off of Gracie and hung it up, then saw Dean dithering with a battered-looking frame in his hand.

'What's that?' Cas asked.

Dean hesitated, biting his lip, but turned it around to show Cas a picture of a smiling, blonde woman, holding a baby in one arm, and holding the hand of a small boy with the other hand. Cas moved towards him and thought he recognised the woman, then it occurred to him. 'Your mother?' he asked quietly.

Dean nodded, gently rubbing the frame with his thumb.

'Where do you want to put her?'

Dean looked uncertain, his eyes wide and vulnerable.

'Where does she usually go?'

Dean gestured towards the bedroom.

'Next to the bed? All right, let's put her there.' Cas smiled and Dean held the photo close to his chest as they went into the bedroom.

Dean gently placed the photo on his bedside table. He kissed his finger, then tapped it against the photo. {You don't mind?} he asked Cas.

'Of course not.'

Dean squeezed his hand. {I should get back to work} he said. {I love you} He kissed Cas on the cheek, then left the apartment, careful not to let Gracie outside. She had been trying to escape every time the door opened, since Cas had started walking her outside.

Cas was considering whether or not to open the bakery for the afternoon, when he got a text from Sam.

Meet me at the cafe on the other side of town. I need to talk to you.

He raised his eyebrows in surprise, but agreed to meet and made his way to the small cafe.

Sam was already there and had ordered a coffee for them both.