Chapter Twenty-Two

By the time they arrived at their first motel, Cas was extremely crabby, suffering from strong cramps that forced him into the back seat of the car during the last few hours of that day's driving.

Dean helped him out of the car and he stumbled into the motel, clutching one of the heat pads Dean had bought him close to his stomach.

Dean had also stopped and bought himself a new notepad along the way, so Cas let him check them in.

'What's wrong with him?' the teenager at the desk asked, nodding at Cas.

'None of your business,' Cas snapped.

Dean put a calming hand on his back, then wrote more on the notepad.

'Yeah, we've got a tea kettle. I'll have it brought to your room.'

Dean led the way to their room, refusing to let Cas carry his own bag. Once inside, Cas went straight to the bed and threw himself down, face first, groaning. He felt the bed sink next to him, and Dean's hand return to his back, rubbing gently. He just groaned again.

'Cas.'

He sighed and rolled over, wincing. 'What?' he grumbled.

{Do you need anything?}

'No.'

{What about a hot water bottle?}

'...Maybe.'

Dean chuckled. {I'll get us something to eat} He left Cas alone to curl up on the bed until the boy from the front desk knocked on the door.

Cas groaned again and forced himself up. He answered the door, and the boy handed him the tea kettle.

'You know, my mom says that Ibuprofen is good for period cramps,' the boy laughed.

Cas closed the door on him, then went back to the bed. He had managed to get to sleep by the time Dean returned with a few bags. He filled the kettle with water and set it on the stove, then began cooking some macaroni and cheese for them both.

Cas was woken by the sound of the kettle announcing that the water was ready with a high pitched whistle. He opened his eyes and saw Dean gingerly take the kettle off the stove.

'Careful, it's hot,' Cas murmured.

Dean turned and smiled.

In his sleep, Cas's nausea had turned to a ravenous hunger, so he was glad to see Dean already cooking, though his cramps had not subsided.

Dean carefully poured the water in the bottle, and wrapped it in one of the blankets he'd pulled from the car, then gently eased it into Cas's arms. Then he got a glass of water and passed Cas some painkillers.

'Time already?' Cas murmured.

Dean nodded and Cas swallowed them.

'You take such good care of me,' he said, grabbing Dean's hand. 'Is there any way I can repay you?' He pulled Dean down and kissed him, one hand on the back of his neck, the other grabbing at Dean's belt.

Dean laughed, but stood up and readjusted his belt. {The food} he signed, going back to the pasta.

Cas sighed. 'Maybe later then.'

Dean was still chuckling when he plated up the food and put it on the spindly table in their room.

Cas stood up, but a little too quickly, and his head spun. He dropped the bottle and held his hands out until he regained his balance.

Dean half stood up, but Cas waved him away and sat himself down.

'I'm fine,' he said. 'Just stood up too fast.'