Epilogue

Cas walked into the bakery on a warm summer morning, and smiled at the framed photo of his and Dean's wedding hanging on the wall by the register, as he always did.

Alfie was behind the counter. He now had a tag that said his name, with 'Manager' underneath.

Cas enjoyed his lazy mornings now that he had taken Alfie on full-time.

'Morning,' Alfie smiled, passing Cas a cup of coffee. 'What's your plan for the day?'

'No plan,' Cas said, slipping on an apron. 'I'm just going to see what's back there and feel it out. Did you make some muffins for Mrs Holden? She should be coming by today.'

'I tried, but you know I can never make those as good as you.'

Cas rolled his eyes. 'I suppose that's what the plan is for today, then.'

Alfie grinned sheepishly.

Before Cas went into the kitchen, he did a quick inspection of the front.

Alfie had greatly improved, and seemed to have a knack for artisan breads, which the baskets were fully stocked with.

'Don't forget Sam's cookies,' Alfie called.

Cas chuckled and got to work.

He made Mrs Holden's poppy-seed muffins first, taking great care on them. He also found some spare pastry in the fridge, so decided to make Dean's favourite pie.

He mixed sugar, cinnamon, and a pinch of nutmeg in with his bowl of apples, and baked them without the top of the pie. He took them out just as they were going soft, drizzled them with honey, then put the top on the pie.

'Smells like pie in there,' Alfie called.

'I'm glad that you, a baker, know what pie smells like,' Cas called back.

'Are we selling that one, or is it for Dean?'

'It's for Angela,' he said. 'Dean can have some, I suppose.'

'That'll kill him.'

'Please, he'd give Angela anything.'

Cas went back out to the front when the pie was finished, just in time to meet Mrs Holden as she shuffled through the door.

'Good morning,' she said brightly.

''Morning, Mrs Holden,' they both said to her.

'I've got your muffins,' Cas said, bagging them for her.

She reached into her purse, but Cas shook his head.

'They're on the house,' he told her.

'You're so sweet, but you must let me pay for these sometime.'

'Never,' Cas smiled, passing her the bag.

Just then, a loud ding sounded from the pocket of his apron, and he drew out his shiny new smartphone. It took a moment, but he unlocked it to find a text from Dean.

It's time. I'm coming to get you.

Cas nearly dropped the phone, and his stomach flipped.

'Cas?' Alfie said, looking up in concern.

'I- I have to go.'

Alfie understood immediately, and his eyes widened. 'I'm sorry, Mrs Holden, but we have to close now.'

'All right, you two take care.'

'See you later, Mrs Holden.'

Alfie hurried around the shop once she was gone, packing all the food into bags, occasionally stopping to try and keep Cas calm, until the Impala pulled up outside and Dean blasted the horn.