Chapter Fifteen

Cas woke up the next morning and lazily rolled over. It was still early, but there was a little light to see in. Dean was still peacefully asleep and Cas gazed at him for a while, hardly daring to believe what had happened.

Dean's eyelids flickered open briefly at the movement.

'Go back to sleep,' Cas whispered.

Dean mumbled something unintelligible and quickly dozed back off.

Cas gently slipped out of the bed and put on the robe he'd thrown into the room the night before, leaving a spare one out for Dean, in case he wanted it.

Gracie was waiting for him outside, her tail held upright in annoyance.

'I know, I know. I'm sorry,' Cas said to her, going over to the kitchen counter and pulling her food out of the cabinet.

She hopped up next to him, yowling indignantly.

'Relax,' he murmured. 'I'm doing it already.' He put the bowl down and she shoved her face into it, purring loudly. 'Don't think I didn't hear you yelling out here last night,' he said to her. 'Not cool.'

She flicked her tail in response, but didn't pause her eating.

Just then, Dean came out of the bedroom, wrapped in the robe, arms folded.

Cas smiled, but Dean didn't return it, instead avoiding his eyes.

'Are you okay?' Cas asked, his smile falling away.

Dean nodded, then went into the bathroom, locking the door behind him. Soon after, Cas heard the shower switch on.

He tried to push down the nervousness fluttering in his chest, and wrote out a grocery list while he waited for Dean to emerge.

Gracie remained sitting on the counter after she finished eating, keeping Cas company, and somewhat calm.

Dean crept out of the bathroom, still avoiding looking at Cas, and went to get dressed.

Cas attempted to continue his list, but ended up just doodling while he waited again. He paced around the living room and watched the fish for a while, until Dean finally came out of the bedroom.

'What's wrong?' Cas asked.

{Nothing} Dean signed hurriedly. {I have to go. Sam needs me for something} He rushed out of the front door, ignoring both Gracie and Cas's attempts at getting his attention.

With nothing else to do on his day off, Cas went to the store, this time taking a taxi instead of his bike, but didn't realise until he'd gotten it back to the bakery that he'd accidentally bought a sack of pears instead of apples. He slung it into the store cupboard, annoyed, and texted Dean, but got no response.

He sighed and went home again and set about cleaning up his bedroom. Gracie followed him around as he did so, which he appreciated, seeing as she usually slept through most of the day when he was around.

At the end of the day he went to bed irritated and anxious, with his phone switched on and sitting next to him on the bedside table.

The next morning at the bakery was quiet, except for a visit from Mrs Holden.

'Good morning, my dear,' she said, shuffling through the door.

'Hello, Mrs Holden,' Cas smiled. 'Can I get you a poppy seed muffin?'

'I would love that.' Her voice was just scratchy as it always was, but it had a certain warmth. 'Is everything all right? You seem a little down today.'