Chapter Twenty

Emily had been ecstatic when Cas called to arrange their dinner, and soon, his flight was booked.

Dean, however, was not impressed. {I can't fly} he signed uneasily.

'What do you mean?' Cas asked as he washed their dishes from that night's dinner. Dean had stayed over at Cas's almost every night since he'd told his story, and was now sitting on the couch, with his legs up and Gracie in his lap.

{I can't fly. I just can't}

'Are you - are you afraid of flying?' Cas asked incredulously.

{I'll just drive}

'You can't do that! That's like a four day drive!'

{I've driven longer before}

'Dean-'

{It'll be fine. I'll just meet you there}

Cas sighed and turned back to the dishes, so lost in his thoughts that he didn't hear Dean get up, and jumped at his touch. He squirmed away from Dean's embrace.

{You're nervous} Dean signed as Cas ran both his hands through his hair.

[Of course I am}

Dean leaned against the counter and Gracie jumped up next to him. {We're visiting because they asked but it's all on your terms. Don't forget that you can leave whenever you want. You don't owe them anything}

Cas nodded, mostly to himself.

{Take your medicine, and come sit with me} Dean lay back down on the couch and waited for Cas to join him. {You need TV in here} he signed.

'I'll get right on that.' This time, he allowed Dean to bundle him up in his arms. 'Everything will be all right,' he whispered.

Dean nodded, then pressed his lips to Cas's, his hands sliding up Cas's neck and into his hair.

Cas shivered at the fingers travelling up the back of his neck, and kissed back. 'As long as you're there, I'll be fine,' he murmured into Dean's lips.

The day before his flight, Alfie had come over for the evening and watched as Cas packed and unpacked his suitcase three times. Dean had left a few days earlier, and Cas was attempting to think rationally, though, for the most part, he was completely frazzled.

'Are you sure this is a good idea?' Alfie asked, holding a couple of Cas's sweaters.

'No,' Cas said, throwing a few pairs of pants onto the couch. 'but I should find out, right? Mom apologised to you and actually meant it, that has to mean something, right?'

Alfie shrugged.

'What am I forgetting?' Cas said, looking around the room and scratching his head. He looked at his bedroom door. 'My suit!'

Alfie struggled to contain his snigger, then helped Cas repack his suitcase for what was hopefully the final time.

'And you'll be fine with the bakery?' Cas asked Alfie.

'Yeah, I have all your instructions.'

'My phone number?'

'Yes.'

'All the recipes?'

'Cas, stop. It'll be fine.'

Cas nodded. 'You're right.'

'I want to hear everything when you get back.'

Cas smiled. 'Sure.'

At last satisfied with his packing, he said goodnight to Alfie and went to bed early, making sure he left the instructions for Gracie on the kitchen counter.