Chapter Thirty-One

'Okay, is everyone ready?' Cas asked.

Everyone had gotten up early the morning of the reopening to help Cas bake.

'Oh, wait!' Charlie said, pulling out her phone and a long stick. 'I gotta get a picture of this.'

Groans rumbled around the kitchen, but they all crowded close to fit in the frame.

Cas leaned over to look at the picture. 'I like that. Will you send it to me?'

'I'll send it to Dean.'

Cas laughed. 'That works.' Everyone had donned an apron and was looking at Cas expectantly. 'Okay, Dean, you're on bread.'

Dean gave a thumbs up.

'Sam, you're on cakes; Alfie, cookies. Charlie, make sure you've got enough to decorate all these cakes we'll have coming out. Mom, I want you to make some of those cheese biscuits. I'll work on the pastries.'

'What about me?' Gabriel said.

'Um... You can... not touch any of the food. You can make sure everyone has the equipment they need, wash things as soon as they've been used, and it's going to get hot in here, so keep everyone hydrated. Got it?'

'Yes, chef!' Charlie said, saluting Cas exaggeratedly.

'All right, let's go.'

As soon as the ovens went on, the kitchen became swelteringly hot, and Cas had to remind several people to use their dishcloths to wipe their faces and not their hands. Gabriel was quick with bottles of cold water, so everyone was able to stay focused.

Soon, the shelves and stands behind the counter filled, the baskets stocked, and everything was labelled neatly with their prices.

Cas switched on the register and made sure everything was working before having everyone stand in the front of the shop for some fresh air.

Charlie had tied a ribbon up over the counter, as well as the window outside, in honour of the occasion.

Dean put an arm around Cas's shoulder and kissed him on the cheek.

Cas returned the favour, snaking his arm around Dean's waist.

Emily sipped her water thoughtfully, and turned to Charlie. 'I never got the chance to thank you,' she said.

Charlie inhaled her water, choking. 'What?' she spluttered.

Cas's eyebrows shot up.

'I mean it,' said Emily. 'You were there for my son when I wasn't. He's a fine young man, and I know I had no part in that, but you did, so thank you.' Emily paused and Charlie gaped at her. 'I don't know how I can repay you,' Emily continued, 'but if there's ever anything you need, you call me.'

'I- uh- sure,' Charlie said, flabbergasted.

Everyone gave each other confused looks, then Cas cleared his throat and moved away from Dean. 'All right, is everyone ready?' he said.

People had begun to gather outside, waiting for the bakery to open.

Dean nodded encouragingly.

'Okay.' Cas took a deep breath, stepped over to the door and unlocked it. To his surprise, everyone outside clapped and cheered, and someone from the local newspaper was taking pictures. Cas just smiled at them and propped the door open.

Everyone crowded in, and Cas moved back and forth, frequently refilling the stands with food from the kitchen.

Alfie was manning the coffee machine, Charlie decorated cupcakes as soon as they were cool, and everyone else handed out food and took money to the register, which rang over and over again all morning.