Chapter 28: Nice Guys Give Brotherly Advice

Adam

I was just starting to get worried, when Trace texted that Mac is at the venue.

Of course. I should have realized she would go there. The only reason I thought she was at the Riverfront was because we'd had some sleepy murmurings last night about taking a run along the riverfront today, if we had time after the meeting and before soundcheck. I'm actually relieved she's at the venue. Trace says she's working on a song. If Mac were in a real bad way—a flashback—she wouldn't have  song-writing focus.

I text her, to let her know I'm with Leed, and that I know she's with Trace at the venue, and that Bodie's with Tam,  so I know everyone's all good.

A few minutes later she calls me.

I answer the call with, "Hey, Sweetheart. You okay?"

"Yeah."

"Sure?"

"Well, I'm still pissed off—especially at Leed— but I'm in control."

"Mac, we were stoned and shit-talking, nobody meant any of what was said." I assure her. "Except me, when I said I can't live without your crazy, girl. I love your crazy beauty, your crazy spirit, your crazy talent, your crazy right hook..."

"Yeah, yeah, you don't have to kiss my ass. Adam, I don't want to talk about what you guys said on the balcony right now. We have a show to get through." Then, almost like she hates herself for caring, she spits. "The Lion still roaring?"

"More like... drowning."

"Adam..."

"Don't worry. I got him. We'll be there in just a little bit. Mostly sober." I hope.

Leed is gulping down three-hundred-dollar-a bottle-scotch like it's domestic beer.I match his first two glasses, but when he pours a third I wave him off. Somebody has to be able to perform at this damn show tonight.

"You want to talk about it?" I ask him, putting a water on the table in front of him.

Leed is less ferocious now, but seething. "She kept it from me. For months. She told Ben, but she didn't tell me, until she couldn't hide it anymore." He hisses. "You know why she did that?"

Yeah, I know. Because in her heart, Tam's hoping the baby is Ben's, and she doesn't want to face the possibility that it's Leed's. "She's in love with him," I say as gently as possible.

He swirls his glass for a long time. "Yeah, I see that now. She really fucking is." His laugh is bitter.

Leed slams the glass down on the table and falls back against the sofa, his red hair splaying out against the cream leather. He angular features, usually so feline and exotic, look drawn and weary right now. Under the weight of this burden, Leed looks about ten years older than he his.

Poor bastard, this is really unfun for him.

I wonder if it's in him to do what Tamara asks—to let it go. I think...not. That's a hard thing to ask a man—to give up the chance to know his blood. And there is always the chance things would change, if the kid is Leed's. Tamara and Ben are very new and rushing in...and Leed and Tamara have a very long history of friendship and more...and a baby on the way changes things. It deepens everything. Mac and Babycakes...they own my soul. No doubt in my mind...I would die for them.

He gives me an assessing glance. "What would you do, Adam? If Mac were pregnant and you didn't know if it was your baby or some fanboy's? Would you want to know?"

"That's different," I say slowly. Leed is comparing apples and oranges, here. "A fanboy disappears the next morning. And we both know...Mac has a hard edge. She's strong in so many ways. She would never..."