Chapter 34: Nice Guys Take It To The House

Adam

Callie is leading us down a long corridor to a birthing suite. The suites may be swank, but the corridor, the nurses station, the stale, sterile smell all are pretty standard hospital stuff so far.

"We have six premium birthing suites comprised of three rooms each—the mother-child room, the lounge, and the spa room," Callie is saying as she leans against my left shoulder, gesturing to a layout in the leather binder. "The mother-child room is a state of the art birthing room, with all necessary medical equipment and laboring aids. The lounge accommodates a party of eight easily, has a full kitchenette/bar area, two flatscreens, internet access, a treadmill and some light weights."

"What?" I laugh. "A mini-gym? You're joking."

"Not at all. It's great for burning off dad's nervous energy. Some of the more... intense fathers-to-be find they need a break from the birth experience," Callie pats me on the arm, with a smile, taking in my sandwashed jeans, my tight plain black T, my bracelets. "You seem like you might be...the right type."

See this is what I'm talking about—that kind of mentality you see out here in Hollywood. In a place where artists have been celebrated as "sensitive," somewhere we lost the line between sensitivity and self-absorption. Who the fuck would do that...abandon their wife in labor to settle their own nerves? She won't get to take a break. I can't imagine saying, Hey Mac, your labor is really stressful. Imma jump on the treadmill over here in the next room and bust out a 10k, for a little relief. Good luck with those contractions...I'll hit you back in an hour...when I'm chill...

I sneak a peak at Mac, hoping she's not about to go wild-cat on Callie. Either about what Callie said or the way our VIP Liason is obviously checking me out. It happens all the time—attractive, confident women openly flirting with me in situations where I'm obviously just trying to go about my business—the bank, the lawyers office, in the label office and the Apple Store—and I mostly always ignored it. But this? This actually pisses me off that this chic would flirt with me in front of my pregnant wife...

I hesitate in my step, retracing my thought. Did I just label Mac in my head as my wife?

Rethink that, Heartley. That shit comes accidentally flying out of your mouth, and Mac will cut your tongue out.

I should have said...it pisses me off that this chick would flirt with me in front of my pregnant girlfriend. I mean...we're having a baby together and this woman knows it. It kinda says commitment, right?

"You've got the wrong Soundcrush guy, Callie," I say rather coldly. "Trace is the intense one. I'm the patient and steady one. Took me five years to get where I wanted to be, but I never gave up, and I'll never need a break."

I reach for Mac's hand, stepping close to her, but Mac's got her killer face on. Actually, I don't even think she's listening to Callie. Her focus is straight ahead, as she returns my hand grasp tightly. She's really anxious about this tour.

Callie doesn't even have the good grace to be ashamed of herself. She just smirks, shrugs and continues her explanations.

"The lounge converts to overnight sleeping, for the father or other family members. In addition to the mother-child room and the lounge, there is a luxury bathroom with a professional vanity to accommodate a stylist's needs, as well as a soak tub for water-labor. Additional private sleeping quarters can be booked for any staff that will be overnighting—nannies, PA's, that sort of thing. Each premium package comes with 24 hour access to the VIP concierge for external needs, a personal chef and butler, and in-suite spa services. Plus a round-the clock VIP liason like me to coordinate between your medical care and your entourage," Callie is saying with a perfect smile.