Chapter 58: Nice Guys Are The Future

I decided to split this chapter, and go ahead and give you guys an update. In this one, Adams FINALLY gets his birthday gifts. Barbecue and fun with Leed in the next chapter!!!

Adam

I'm tryna control the face like Trace, but I can't fight the grin spreading. I'm sure I look more like a kid at Christmas than a rock star right now.

"You bought me a boat?" I whisper to the Beauty beside me, who's giving me her killer stare. We're enjoying our leisurely brunch, and Mac's chewing her eggs with determination—determination to keep her mouth full of food so she doesn't have to answer my question.

She shrugs and takes another bite of fresh corn tortilla. She's not fooling me—my dad's insistence that we all get on our swim gear before I receive my belated birthday gifts can only mean one thing...somebody got me something that floats. My money is on Mac and a couple of sweet Sea-doo's. It would make sense—she knows her riding on the bike with me damn near gives me a heart—attack now, but I wouldn't mind going fast and getting a little wet with my girl hugged up behind me. The landing from a tipover is much softer in the water.

"C'mon, Shortcake. Tell me the deets."

"No. You'll find out soon enough." Her expression is bored but I see her fingers wiggling in excitement on her glass of grapefruit juice. Yeah, definitely a boat.

"Ooooohhhh——kaaaaaay! Brunch is over!!!!" I yell grabbing my plate and Mac's. "Dudes on clean-up. Women—get all your young-uns suited and slathered with sunscreen!!! Let's go, let's go!" I'm yelling through the kitchen and dining room at all my brothers-in-law and sisters. All the Soundcrush dudes jump up, too, grinning and stacking plates like madmen.

"Oh my Lord, that's your grandmother's china. Leed—be careful!" my mom rises and tries to take his stack of plates.

"Relax, Mama Joe" Leed drawls at her. "I am very attentive to pretty things. I'll handle these plates just like I do my fangirls." Everybody laughs.

"Hand-wash," my mother warns with a pointed finger as she backs down the hall to change for the lake.

I wrap Mac in my arms and plant a chaste kiss on her temple as she tries to escape up the kitchen stairs. It's hard for me to let Mac go for even a little while—even to go upstairs to change.

We are entwined. Drawing closer and closer together, spreading into each other, our love growing more lush and vibrant with each day in the sun.

Me and this woman and our child. Perhaps not One, but wrapped up so tight we can't tell the difference. She's right...a marriage ceremony seems...a little less important, now. We already have what we need to thrive.

"The sooner you let me go, the sooner you get your gift," she teases.

I pull her closer to me, pressing our foreheads together. "You are my greatest gift. I'll never let go."

I feel the soft explosion of her sigh, and her long expressive fingers curl against my back, gripping me, showing me that she feels the same. But my wicked, very bad, naughty girl says, "Well, if we are never moving from this spot, it's too bad really. I've never had sex on a boat."

I pull her head back to meet my gaze. "It's big enough for that?" I ask with a grin.

She shrugs a shoulder and bats her eyes at me.

I pull her head to my ear. "For the record, I've never had sex on a boat, either." Not technically one hundred percent accurate...I've had sex on a yacht that was practically the size of a small cruise ship, but this obviously has to be a different class of boat than that, so I don't feel like it's a lie.