Chapter 27

From Joslyn: Alex! Thank you so much for the flowers! They're beautiful

From Joslyn: Alex! Thank you so much for the flowers! They're beautiful. You didn't have to do that.

An instant smile makes its way onto my face and relief washes over me knowing that she got the 21 white roses I sent her for her birthday.

To Joslyn: You're welcome. Happy 21st, Joss!

I pocket my phone and quickly board the plane, ready for my flight to Nashville. What Joslyn doesn't know is that her brother and Zack are throwing her a huge surprise birthday party. Joe messaged me over social media about a month ago inviting me to come if I could. I couldn't pass it up.

I can only stay for an hour or so until I have to get back on the plane, back to New York. Even though I'm supposed to be on a break, Chris booked me some studio time and I can't miss it. Right after today's session, I immediately went to catch a plane and I'm now on my way to try to spend as much time as I can at Joslyn's party. I'm already running late, knowing I won't be there when she walks in and they all yell surprise.

Unfortunately, while I've managed to keep my trip to Nashville a secret from Chris, Milo found out. He watches me like a hawk so it doesn't surprise me much, and he insisted that he come with me for protection or else he'll tell Chris who I know will forbid me from going, scared I won't make it back in time for the studio. But I have it all planed out to make it back in time.

Stepping off the plane, a car service is waiting for us. I give the driver the address of the bar Joe sent me and we take off. When we arrive it's a small bar just outside the city. There's quite a few cars in the parking lot and I can tell the party is in full swing.

Stepping inside, the building is a decent size, holding quite a few people. It's rustic with modern touches here and there. Everything is wood aside from the dark steel counter tops of the bar and tables scattered about. The soft, warm glow from the modern hanging light fixtures gives it an overall relaxed vibe.

Looking to the bar, there's a huge banner hanging from the ceiling that reads 'Happy 21st Birthday Joslyn' and balloons are scattered about.

Over the low rumble of the crowd and music coming from the speakers, I can hear an all too familiar laugh. Looking to my left, I spot Joslyn with her head thrown back laughing at something Joe or Zack must have said.

She looks beautiful. Her smile is wide, eyes crinkling in the corners as her, Joe, and Zack animatedly talk about something. She's wearing high waisted black leather shorts with a flowy white top that's tucked in at one side. The high heeled wedges she's wearing make her lean tan legs look like they go on for miles.

She turns to grab her drink from a nearby table and her eyes find mine. Confusion flashes over her face before her smile stretches even wider in realization. Setting her drink back down, she walks towards me, a disbelieving smile on her face.