Chapter 31

Derek P.O.V

"Night Derek" Alex says giving me a kiss and opens the car door.

She spend a few days at my house. I smile watching her go inside.

A few months ago I would say I was completely alone but she came to my life and the feeling of alone disappeared.

I should get the list of food she wrote down. I drive to supermarket that's open till 3am.

I park the car and get out. It's pretty cold lately. Winters coming.

I zip my jacket up and take out a cart.

"Bread?" I look at the list. She has really bad handwriting. I laugh to myself and go down the aisle. A few people were still shopping. I was getting a bad vibe. Like someone was following me. I look behind me and nobody was there.

"Relax Derek" I whisper to myself. I continue trying to figure out what she wrote.

I walk down the aisle and see one of Carter's follower. He smiles and walks away. I take a deep breath and pretend I didn't see that. I look out the window and see Carter. No I have to be dreaming.

I rub my eyes and look outside again. He was standing there smirking. I throw the cart to the side and run outside. I look around the empty parking lot for him but he was gone.

I turn around and run as fast as I can. I get to Alex house in less then 5 minutes. I climb the tree leading to her room. The window was open and it was pinch black.

I climb in quietly and start smelling. I hear her snore from under the covers.

"Thank god" I whisper and she groans.

"Derek?" She softly whispers rubbing her eyes.

"Yeah it's me." I sit on the bed and stare at her.

"What's wrong?" She groans.

"I just needed to see you" I smile pulling her in my arms.

"Are you okay?" She whispers.

"Yeah I'm fine" I lay down on the bed and hug her. She nods putting her head on my chest and falls back to sleep.

I can't do this to her. I can't lose her. I'm going to hate myself for what I'm thinking and she will too but I need to protect her.